Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've had time to work on the project again and took it out for a test ride. I'm currently running a br8es and gapped it to around .20-.21 if I'm correct which should be fine that it's only a 265cc. I noticed it's still having that issue where it hits some sort of rev limiter. something I noticed though is when it's sitting still idling I can rev it to as high as it will go but right when it starts to get some load on it. It hits the powerband and gives up. I tried a 172 at first seemed a little lean so just went straight to a 180 and it seems to be fine it just can't hit that top end. Everything electrical has been replaced with OEM besides the stator which is a ricks high output, I've heard bad things about those so my thought is maybe I need to find a used good OEM one. I was also wondering about should I try a non-resistor plug? I also have tried a br7es but that was when I was running a 148 main. Another note is that when going through the gears hard, the higher the gear I go it kind of lets it rev a little more.

Here are my specs again too.

Head: Cool Head with 22cc dome
Reeds: Boyesen Rad Valve
Pipe: FMF Don Elmor Pipe with CT silencer and Head Pipe
Cylinder: The cylinder is a bored 265 with basic smoothing on the ports.
Carb: 38mm air stryker, 180 Main Current. Idle 48 or 50 cant remember but the bottom end runs fine.
Current Altitude: In Virginia, 250-300ft Above Sea Level.
The current plug is a br8es and I run 40:1 Dominator.

-Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you done a leakdown?
I have not yet but the more I look into it I think a gasket/seal may be blown. My old tester broke so I'm waiting on the new one to arrive hopefully this week. I assumed the gaskets would of been fine since the top end and bottom end were both rebuilt quite recently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
I did a leakdown on an engine once that passed but than I added a reed spacer to better align the carb & I didn't retest because I didn't want to pull the pipe. I also assumed everything would be just fine. There ended up being such a massive air leak at the new spacer that it melted the lower rod bearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
I had the same problem with my 85 and replaced the coil, cdi, harness and eventually stator and it was the stator causing the problem. They were all aftermarket and it would start, idle and rev fine but anything past 1/4 throttle riding it would break up and couldn't ride it. I've since replaced the OEM stuff with CR ignition and I like it a lot better.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top