Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on these forums run the new motor city spark ignition yet? It's the one where the coil is powered by a battery. Ive heard good things about it on the Facebook group, but can't seem to find out if it has bad kick back like my hpi does. Thinking of selling mine and try this one if anyone has tried this yet and recommend it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm waiting to hear feedback also. They've been out for a couple months. My 330 kicks back like crazy. They have a video.
https://youtu.be/IZujJQfIRAU

·
Registered
6 Posts
so to run one you will need a battery and then have to redo your stator to be able to charge the battery?yeah i'll stick with oem honda.
That is an option, but not a necessity... Most use it as a constant loss system. Battery technology is much better than 20 years ago. Cvetko used one of the batteries in his vids for a weekend at Silver Lake. He ran through 15 gallons of fuel ( Possibly more ) and never recharged the battery.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
.org has answers on this its a nice set up
No...maybe confusing HPI units.

so to run one you will need a battery and then have to redo your stator to be able to charge the battery?yeah i'll stick with oem honda.
Yes; Hard to beat a CR250R IGN or stock Honda IGN on a 250R.

Anyone on these forums run the new motor city spark ignition yet? It's the one where the coil is powered by a battery. Ive heard good things about it on the Facebook group, but can't seem to find out if it has bad kick back like my hpi does. Thinking of selling mine and try this one if anyone has tried this yet and recommend it.
Seen two of the HPI's on customers TRX250R (310 & 370), both came in to BDT to cure the "Kick Back" and both customers complained the power curve was awful, basically a light switch. After installing CR250R IGN's at BDT; both customers loved the power and easy starts of the CR250R IGN.

One customers TRX250R (350) came in with a New MCSI (Motor City Spark IGN), he had 3 complaints; "hard to start", "easily flooded-then kick back", and "wouldn't get out of it's own way-no power on mid-top end"...we couldn't dial it in. Switch it over to a "Good" Stock Complete TRX250R 89 IGN...all 3 problems solved.

Conclusion; stick to Honda electronics, even if used, as long as they are "good" OEM IGN's, they are still better than the other two options (HPI & MCSI).

Carlos

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

Seen two of the HPI's on customers TRX250R (310 & 370), both came in to BDT to cure the "Kick Back" and both customers complained the power curve was awful, basically a light switch. After installing CR250R IGN's at BDT; both customers loved the power and easy starts of the CR250R IGN.

One customers TRX250R (350) came in with a New MCSI (Motor City Spark IGN), he had 3 complaints; "hard to start", "easily flooded-then kick back", and "wouldn't get out of it's own way-no power on mid-top end"...we couldn't dial it in. Switch it over to a "Good" Stock Complete TRX250R 89 IGN...all 3 problems solved.

Conclusion; stick to Honda electronics, even if used, as long as they are "good" OEM IGN's, they are still better than the other two options (HPI & MCSI).

Carlos
not confusing HPI units with motor city spark. maybe if you knew more about this system you might have been able to dial it in.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
never said i did dial one in. no need to be hostile on facts.
the facts are you openyour mouth everytime carlos replys to people.you need to get a life andstart to only reply with real info and facts and if you don't habe any real info and help just keep your comments to yourself.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your info guys. I'll probably go with the motor city or go back to a cr ignition. If I can't figure out this hpi, then I'm getting rid of it. Dang R might just go in the corner for a few years and I'll pick up a 450 lol.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Thanks for your info guys. I'll probably go with the motor city or go back to a cr ignition. If I can't figure out this hpi, then I'm getting rid of it. Dang R might just go in the corner for a few years and I'll pick up a 450 lol.
Rebuild the standard OEM IGN.

Still decent Honda components New or used (as well as Ricky Stator Stator'ss) are available, with New Honda type CDI's coming in December at BDT. Definitely keep away from aftermarket CDI's; all are Junk.

Or save up and spend the $$$'s and go CR250R IGN, it is the "best" Performance option as all others just don't work as they should. Plus; you can't beat Honda quality, reliability and performance.

Carlos

·
Registered
611 Posts
I know when I added the CR ignition to my big bore, it was the single best upgrade I've ever done. Part of it may have been that I was previously using a 30 year old ignition that was getting tired, but still--wow! It starts much easier, revs a lot quicker, and just has more torque and power. I've seen the Motor City ignition and the spark it throws looks impressive. I just don't like the idea of having to use a battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
85 ATC250R here. Did someone say kickback from an aftermarket chinesium ebay CDI? It took about three months to heal this one up.
Obviously I sent the ignition back and they balked at my request. I sent them the pic and was refunded immediately! I put the 86 style CDI on and it improved starting a bit but occasionally still does a little kickback.

**Any recommendations for an ignition for this machine are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

Carlos
Hello Carlos, there have been NO complaints on Motor City Spark Ignitions. Its unfortunate that you promote and run your business this way.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts