Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a cart racing buddy come over last night to shoot the shit, and he was all about Methanol. It's all he runs in his race carts and junior sprint car with a CBR 600cc engine. Everything he said made a lot of sense, in fact it sounded to good to be true. As with anything "too good to be true" I thought I would ask the forum, as I'm sure this has been pondered bare minimum, if not ran and curious of the outcome??

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lots of drag racers do. Your going to need a complete fuel system upgrade though. Completely unrestricted fuel system, fuel pump, a lot bigger sized carb set up for alky, then each ride you got to drain your system and run through regular gas mixture before you put it away each time so your carb doesn't gum up and your engine internals stay free of corrosion. Make sure you store it in a good sealed metal container that is out of the sun.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I expected... too good to be true. I was incredibly interested based on the price per gallon and same or better performance, but I'm not going through all the change up and the post riding activities when I'm done with 3-6hrs of riding, and a 2.5 hr ride home.... forget it!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Methanol makes you engine run way cooler hence about a 12% power increase if tuned right and motor set up allows it, Maddddd torque , but it is tons of maintenance like stated above you need to purge your engine with fresh race fuel to clear out the engine of the methanol after every ride. The bike will also burn twice the fuel so the cheaper price adds up the same as 110 , and your MPG is also shot so forget about riding far from camp. Id say you can get a little over an hours ride per tank. I run it on my yfz and cub banshee , the banshee dyno'd at 89hp on sonoco 110 and 98hp on methanol just an example of power gain.

·
Registered
345 Posts
if you want to switch your R to methanol , you need to bump your compression ( alky dome) , run a CR ignition because methanol loves timing and compression. Run a Pingel to supply the fuel to the carb, convert a 39 PWK to alky with a billet bowl or a lectron carb .

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah no... no more money on engine, engine runs just fine. My buddy obviously does not recognize the consumption because laps on a track are different then ripping the dunes

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
LOL, that didnt take long for you to figure out.

What that guy didnt tell you, methanol is a lot easier to deal with on a 4 poke.
When I ran karts, 2 strokes, could go like 4~5 weekends before I did a flush out of the system, but it seamed like at least every other week end, I would need to go in the carb for something.
Methanol will pick up water over time, so you got that to deal with. You have to be careful as well, to filter the fuel, because it will get crystals in it that will stop up the jet holes. Some alky will have the crystals & then some will be clear, I always figured it was old fuel or something coming loose from the drum.
The reason the HP will go up, you'll be putting at least two times as much fuel mix into the engine, so the more you can compact on top of the piston, then ignite it, the harder it will push down on the piston for it to complete the cycle.
Methanol is a very slow burn, so you have to set the ignition timing real high, to start the burn process early for it to work proper. Ignition timing & compression have to work together & you never want to run the engine lean, because the engine can turn in to one of the glow engines, like a RC engine & will run even with the ignition turned off, no spark.
Neil

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At 46 there are moments of clarity and logical thinking, funny how it will be or is reversing/ going backwards with every additional year.:cool:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
All good comments, will add Methanol will need to be 'purged' after every use with Gasoline, and will make very good power even when the jetting is set Rich. To some extent, feel Methanol is easier to tune since you get excellent power with very rich settings, no need to be leaned out as in gas for max HP.

Carbs, needles and jetting are completely different, if using a Mikuni or Keihin you will need to drill out the flow tube, and the jets to get enough fuel through the engine. Plug reading is also completely different than for gas...

Carlos

1 - 10 of 10 Posts