Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any time with the CPI lynx cylinder yet? How does it compare to the puma?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was at Pete's shop(Hybrid Engineering)two months ago and saw one he was working on. I don't know how they preform, but was impressed with the looks. Pete did say that if I was thinking about a lynx that he would try to persuade me to just build a puma.
Loren

Reactions: Baskboy

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Does anyone have any time with the CPI lynx cylinder yet? How does it compare to the puma?
A good question and to add to yours is CPI Lynx 82MM vs CEO 81MM vs Standard ProX 81MM vs Puma 85MM....?

The quick answer is no one knows yet how good the Lynx 82MM or CEO 81MM are. Both are rather New, all the Bugs have not been worked out vs a 85MM Puma that is a 10 year old design....meaning the reliability & performance answer is not available yet for the newer cylinders. The ProX 81MM is a standard cylinder, been out for 18 months...and is a good performer.

Unless you are willing to be the Guinea Pig; wait 6-12 months, after 2 Stroke Trike & Quad Racing has occurred on multiple tracks and different disciplines (MX, WOODS, TT, FT) and let's see how all these perform. Racing is the best avenue for shacking all the bugs out.

With all that said, and if looking for an answer today, based on having built all of these, specially for Racers, and seeing the results come in from the Track....I will put my bet on the 81MM CEO PV vs the rest.

Carlos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A good question and to add to yours is CPI Lynx 82MM vs CEO 81MM vs Standard ProX 81MM vs Puma 85MM....?

The quick answer is no one knows yet how good the Lynx 82MM or CEO 81MM are. Both are rather New, all the Bugs have not been worked out vs a 85MM Puma that is a 10 year old design....meaning the reliability & performance answer is not available yet for the newer cylinders. The ProX 81MM is a standard cylinder, been out for 18 months...and is a good performer.

Unless you are willing to be the Guinea Pig; wait 6-12 months, after 2 Stroke Trike & Quad Racing has occurred on multiple tracks and different disciplines (MX, WOODS, TT, FT) and let's see how all these perform. Racing is the best avenue for shacking all the bugs out.

With all that said, and if looking for an answer today, based on having built all of these, specially for Racers, and seeing the results come in from the Track....I will put my bet on the 81MM CEO PV vs the rest.

Carlos
I have Packard esr 344 right now. I mainly ride out on the dunes. I’m just looking for something with more power for the hills. My friends have banshee long rod 370’s. They can get me on a really long hill like sand mountain Utah. More power would be nice.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts

Carlos
I have Packard esr 344 right now. I mainly ride out on the dunes. I’m just looking for something with more power for the hills. My friends have banshee long rod 370’s. They can get me on a really long hill like sand mountain Utah. More power would be nice.
For now, the best answer I can provide to your question, I posted above. If you wan't something considerably more powerful than your current setup, that's proven with over 10 years performance; get a 431 Puma.

Carlos

·
Registered
288 Posts
I went back and forth for months trying to decide on a new engine for my R. I wanted more power than I could ever need and Reliability! My options in my mind were 431 puma, 391CEO, or 391 non CEO.
In the end Pete at Hybrid Engineering talked me in to the 391 non CEO. The puma is twice the money for 5 more hp and the CEO was unproven at the time.
After getting some seat time piloting the 391 I can honestly say I have all the engine I need for a play/dune bike. I can climb anything out there! It is not the fastest drag machine on the dunes, but I don't care as I am not into drag racing. I run a +3(86) swingarm and do not need anything longer. In the end without a pipe I have around $4500 in to the engine. That includes a CR ignition, slingshot clutch, cryo'd transmission, all new bearings, new clutch, 4mil crank, porting, 40.5 pwk, and case mods. I'm sure there are other things I am forgetting. This engine is definitely a chore to kick over at 15.5:1 compression. With the CR ignition it fires up after a kick or 2 and runs smooth. My engine runs cool and only hit 190°f when I drop down into a deep dark tree shot.
Good luck with your build
Loren

Reactions: Baskboy

·
Registered
384 Posts
buddy has a lynx. my puma spanks it in sand. sold mi saber561. got a new ceo bdt391. glamis august 7 trip. will see how ceo runs.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
I want Pete to build me a CEO 391. Was hoping he had expirence with the ceo's. Won't run a led exhaust I'll run a selvy..

·
Registered
384 Posts
selvy haha. u mean bdt-kr. no such thing selvy. lol

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber

·
Registered
288 Posts
Pete is building CEO cylinders. At the time I was researching my build and assembling parts they really weren't out there yet. The 310 and 363's were just starting to trickle out. Then Eddie showed up at Winchester bay with his own personal 391CEO like 3 months after my engine was complete!
Darren, why not use the pipe Eddie designed to go with the CEO? That's what he had on his and it looked good.
Loren

·
Registered
367 Posts
I could honestly, but I heard his pipes dont have big bore stingers. On the fence about running a big bore motor with a small stinger.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Eddie would be the guy to ask really. He rode with us all day doing tree shots and everything. Never once said anything about temperature issues.
20190818_160730.gif

Reactions: Idontrunstock88

·
Registered
367 Posts
Right on! Stopped at Eddie's shop once and he gave me free billet parts. Super cool dude.. I won't make the R ride this year, water pump giving me issues and won't get the time off from work. I think for my 88 I'll do basically your exact set up except a CEO, have Pete work his magic on it and cryo treat the trans. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No problem Darren.
Loren

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
selvy haha. u mean bdt-kr. no such thing selvy. lol

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Spoken Truth; since you've seen BDT Pipes and the others mentioned built at BDT first hand...:)

buddy has a lynx. my puma spanks it in sand. sold mi saber561. got a new ceo bdt391. glamis august 7 trip. will see how ceo runs.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
You sold the BDT561R Saber, thought you said you would never sell it...LOL

Was it Mathew that purchased it? If I remember correctly he wanted that Saber real Bad...going to kill himself, LOL

Carlos

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
yes. sold bdt saber quad to matt. he peed his shorts. lol

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Probably did more than peed, LOL

Good for you and Matt; keep the BDT Saber 561 Beast locally....:)

Carlos

·
Registered
94 Posts
I love these kinds of discussions. I’m not familiar with any of these big bore builds and I’m always trying to figure out where the “sweet spot” is for what I would want in a future build.

The balancing test between cost/reliability/Rideability/stability is hard to nail down.

I love all things about my simple OEM cylinder. . . Except when I want to blow someone’s doors off. How much I am willing to pay/give up for that ability is not something I have reconciled yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts