Honda TRX250R Forums banner

Located a 89 r thats been sitting

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gli_ryan 
#1 ·
So I have been tracking this 250r down for about 5 years. Well tracking it down wasn't that hard, getting this person to let it go took this long. My uncle and I were talking about wheelers about 5 years ago and said his coworker has 2 that have been sitting since about 91 or 92. This woman and her husband bought them brand new in 89, rode them very little and then got divorced. So they have been sitting there ever since. Im under the impression that they have not been started or anything since then! Early this week I remembered about them and asked my unlce to ask about her selling them again and so I just got off the phone with him and she is going to be talking to her ex-husband about the sale. My uncle said it sounded like she only has one now. Im praying she'll let it go for fairly cheap. I haven't even looked at it yet but i guess it has not done anything for about 15 years, all the tires are flat and thats all I know.

Im not new to quads but I am to 250r's. Is there anything in specific to look for with this? If it happens to be in good shape what should I pay for it? Im pretty sure the it is bone stock. I'll be looking at it I hope this week. I'll take pictures when I do.

#2 ·
how much are you willing to spend or what is your budget ,, a 250r sitting for 15 yrs will probably need quite a bit of freshining up
BlackeR on this site has a real nice R for sale
chevycruzen has an 88 thats mostly stock but has a pipe recent rebuild of the engine etc
it all comes down to cost

if i were you avoid the quad that has sat for 15 yrs
when I bought mine it just had a rebuilt engine (upper and lower)
everything else has set me back about 5 grand or so replacing and upgrading
either way the R is the best Quad I have ever owned and I have owned every 2 stoke ever made except the Tecate4 but my dad had the 3 wheeler

#3 ·
Well Im going to take a look at it at least and then decide what to do. My problem with finding a good quad is that they are all way too far away, and if they are close people want ridiculous amounts of money. My budget is not spending more than 3500 up front. I'd really like to keep it lower than that if possible. But Im still looking around. There wont be much for riding until April at the earliest up here in northern MN. It's cold and really really snowy.

#5 ·
When you go look at take some pic's if your not interested in it I might be...I would like to restore one to where it's mint.

-Steve

#8 ·
There is no way Im going to pay close to even 2000 for it. I'd rather pick up a modded one for around 3500. 3500 is with the original purchase, and whatever mods I buy initially. Im planning on pictures, so I'll post them when i get them.
When you go to look at them & talk to the woman, act kinda dumb like you dont know what they are, no slobering or peeing in your pants & stuff like that when she says, yeah I'll take 500.00 for them.
Things like, you think they would even run anymore, good lord they look ruff & where in the world would I get parts if I needed them.
Neil

#9 ·
I'm hoping I can get it for less than $1000. I'm totally going to play the "I'm stupid, you're stupid" game so sell it to me for $500 so i can have some left over money. If in the rare chance she goes for something less than a grand, I'll probably shit a brick. But, I know nothing till I look at it. Who knows, she may want like $3000 and I'll tell her to blow herself and keep looking.

#10 ·
I'm hoping I can get it for less than 00. I'm totally going to play the "I'm stupid, you're stupid" game so sell it to me for 0 so i can have some left over money. If in the rare chance she goes for something less than a grand, I'll probably shit a brick. But, I know nothing till I look at it. Who knows, she may want like 00 and I'll tell her to blow herself and keep looking.
well 250rs dont really loose there value. i just came back dfrom glamis and on that trip a guy pulled in on a raptor 700(really nice one with lots of mods) he asked if i wanted to sale my 250r fro 4500 right know at that instant. my friends and family were like bo it and get a 450!!! i thought about it for about half a second and told him nope cuz it holds to many memories since it was my dads and all.it still looks really nice for its age. it also moght not be the fastests anymore but it sure is one heck of a fun bike.

#11 ·
The key of the worth it is only worth what a person is willing to pay or the person selling it thinks. You have a very good chance she sees something collecting dust for 15yrs and taking up space and to an outsider that doesn't know the r it is just a almost 20yr old machine that cost what 3k new. I'd say you are probably on track to a heck of a deal! Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.