Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a build and I need some direction on the correct linkage setup to use and which skid plate to order.

I have the following components available:
  • 86 stock frame
  • LSR 86/87 style swingarm -1" length (stock 88/89 length)
  • 86 shock (PEP mod by SF Racing)
  • 86 complete linkage
  • 88 complete linkage
Question 1: What linkage should I run with this setup? It appears that the 88 dog bone is ~1" shorter than the 86 dog bone, otherwise the linkages are identical.

Question 2: Since this is an 86/87 style swingarm, but 88/89 length, which swingarm skid plate should I order? The rear bolt holes (near carrier) are 3-7/8" center to center; front bolt holes are 5-1/16" center to center; and the bolt hole length from front to rear is 12-5/8". I chatted with Dan from Pro-Tect Fabrications and based on these dimensions he suggested that the 88/89 swingarm skid plate would be the right fit. But then we got talking about linkages and how they may impact the skid plates that he makes. That said, I was hoping to better understand the answer to Question 1 first to be able to determine the specific skid plate to order.

Any information that you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wes

·
Registered
890 Posts
U need 88/89 skid
Longer link drops bike lil compared to shorter link personal preference in which u like

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I’ll try them both to see how they compare.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I know it's been a while, but I finally picked up a 88/89 skid plate from XFR to install on this setup. By the way, the XFR skid plate seems to be good quality and made well (assuming it fits, more on that below).

All of the bolt holes appear to line up as they should to mount the skid plate; however, I cannot get it to work with either the 88 linkage or the 86 linkage. Neither linkage setup lines up with the "trough" of the skid plate, as the shock/linkage makes contact when mounting.

Here's some pictures of the 88 linkage:

Here's some pictures of the 86 linkage:

The 88 linkage fits a little bit better than the 86, but neither fit like they should. Based on what I've read, the 86/87 mounting locations are different than the 88/89; however, the skid plate mounting holes seem to line up perfectly with the swingarm. It's just the "trough" location appears to be in the wrong location.

What's going on here? Is the skid plate made incorrectly? Is there something funky going on with my shock/linkage setup? Any feedback that you can provide would be appreciated.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would try to contact the seller/manufacturer and ask them if they have any clues. Plain and simple it doesn't fit. I wonder if it is for a shorter than stock swinger?
Loren

Reactions: bushwesl

·
Registered
205 Posts
The 86-87 swing arms look identical but the bolt spacing for the skid plates is different between 86 & 87. Even though you have a -1 LSR swinger they lengthen or shorten them behind the linkage mount so no matter if it's shortened or lengthened it should still have been made to use the 86 linkage since it was purchased for the 86. It seems to me like the skid plate may have been made wrong.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick responses!

I've reached out to XFR to see what they say.

Scrappy, I purchased a 88/89 skid plate based on the previous feedback/mounting hole dimensions. Are you suggesting that I should have purchased a different year skid plate?

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
I know it's been a while, but I finally picked up a 88/89 skid plate from XFR to install on this setup. By the way, the XFR skid plate seems to be good quality and made well (assuming it fits, more on that below).

All of the bolt holes appear to line up as they should to mount the skid plate; however, I cannot get it to work with either the 88 linkage or the 86 linkage. Neither linkage setup lines up with the "trough" of the skid plate, as the shock/linkage makes contact when mounting.

Here's some pictures of the 88 linkage:
View attachment 64521
View attachment 64522
View attachment 64523

Here's some pictures of the 86 linkage:
View attachment 64524
View attachment 64525
View attachment 64526

The 88 linkage fits a little bit better than the 86, but neither fit like they should. Based on what I've read, the 86/87 mounting locations are different than the 88/89; however, the skid plate mounting holes seem to line up perfectly with the swingarm. It's just the "trough" location appears to be in the wrong location.

What's going on here? Is the skid plate made incorrectly? Is there something funky going on with my shock/linkage setup? Any feedback that you can provide would be appreciated.
BDT has used 3-4 of the XFR skid plates on customers builds over the past 2-3 years for 86-89. They all seemed to mount up "OK" except for one that needed a lot of work to get to fit correctly. I did talk to XFR and they asked BDT to send it back as possibly it was assembled wrong on their end (it was).

We did not send it back; we cut, machined and TIG welded it and made it fit perfectly…a lot easier and quicker than going through all the hassle. Point being not all these aftermarket products fit as they should, some do and most need work.

Carlos

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just measured the 87 swinger I have & it's the same bolt spacing that you posted which I assume is the same as the 88-89 however my 86 swingers have the same width spacing as the 87 but there 13 3/8" spacing front to back. Most of my experience is with the 86 & all my R's are 86 which are more of a stand alone year. 87 looks like the 86 but they share more similarities with the 88-89. Since you have a -1 86 swinger the skid plate should have been made to the same specs as 86 from the linkage mount forward & than modified specs from the linkage rearward. Building it like that would have put the linkage trough in the correct spot for your 86 linkage.

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
We already know it's not correct for an 86, posted more than once. The OP needs to Contact XFR, send it back, or correct it himself.

Carlos

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just measured the 87 swinger I have & it's the same bolt spacing that you posted which I assume is the same as the 88-89 however my 86 swingers have the same width spacing as the 87 but there 13 3/8" spacing front to back. Most of my experience is with the 86 & all my R's are 86 which are more of a stand alone year. 87 looks like the 86 but they share more similarities with the 88-89. Since you have a -1 86 swinger the skid plate should have been made to the same specs as 86 from the linkage mount forward & than modified specs from the linkage rearward. Building it like that would have put the linkage trough in the correct spot for your 86 linkage.
Great information Scrappy. It's great having people like you on here who have been in the R club for over 30 years!

Reactions: scrappy

·
Registered
454 Posts
skid dont fit. has the crappy info fixed it. dont think. send it back. or fix ur self.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Im curious what it fits for sure. I’m looking into getting one. I usually run moose or similar skids. Can’t find one at the moment. Looks like your linkage hangs down further then mine. Must be a year break thing I have 88. Good luck and please let us know how you fix this issue.

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
Im curious what it fits for sure. I’m looking into getting one. I usually run moose or similar skids. Can’t find one at the moment. Looks like your linkage hangs down further then mine. Must be a year break thing I have 88. Good luck and please let us know how you fix this issue.
Most likely a machining just a setup error, it may fit a model totally outside the 250R or Honda world. Or it may be the fixture moved, wrong drawing, wrong program or incorrect location holes was inputted into the CNC machine…. point it may fit an unknown model or no model at all.

Mistakes happen, XFR makes good parts most of the time for a reasonable price; I am sure they will replace or refund. Or as I suggested in an earlier post; the OP can fix and move on.

Carlos

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all of the replies!

Based on the initial feedback in post #2, I purchased the 88/89 skid plate without questioning it. I should have reached out to LSR first to ask them which skid plate fits their swingarm (or at least confirm). Live and learn.

So today I called LSR and shared my story; they confirmed that their 86/87 style swingarm takes the 86/87 skid plate, NOT the 88/89. However, they couldn't confirm whether it was always the 86 or the 87, since the bolt hole locations are different between the two years.

Then I called XFR. I talked to John for 35 minutes; he was super helpful, pulling up CAD drawings, measuring physical samples, etc. to make sure we got to the bottom of this. We determined that the correct skid plate for my swingarm is the 87. Thanks scrappy for your post that confirmed the bolt hole dimensions between the 87 and 88/89 were the same! John had the 87 skid plate boxed up and tracking information sent before we hung up the phone. Great customer service by John and XFR :)

Once I get the skid plate I'll provide another update confirming that it fits🤞

Note that I still think there is something not quite right with the 88/89 skid plate that I have. It will be going back to XFR as soon as I get my replacement.

If you're still reading at this point and care to know more, the pictured examples on XFR's website show the differences between the skid plates pretty well. There is a cut out/opening on the trough on the 87 that will allow the linkage greater clearance, whereas it's completely boxed in on the 88-89.

87: Honda TRX250R 87 Swing Arm Skid Plate | XFR

88/89: Honda TRX250R 88-89 Swing Arm Skid Plate | XFR

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thank you for all of the replies!

Based on the initial feedback in post #2, I purchased the 88/89 skid plate without questioning it. I should have reached out to LSR first to ask them which skid plate fits their swingarm (or at least confirm). Live and learn.

So today I called LSR and shared my story; they confirmed that their 86/87 style swingarm takes the 86/87 skid plate, NOT the 88/89. However, they couldn't confirm whether it was always the 86 or the 87, since the bolt hole locations are different between the two years.

Then I called XFR. I talked to John for 35 minutes; he was super helpful, pulling up CAD drawings, measuring physical samples, etc. to make sure we got to the bottom of this. We determined that the correct skid plate for my swingarm is the 87. Thanks scrappy for your post that confirmed the bolt hole dimensions between the 87 and 88/89 were the same! John had the 87 skid plate boxed up and tracking information sent before we hung up the phone. Great customer service by John and XFR :)

Once I get the skid plate I'll provide another update confirming that it fits🤞

Note that I still think there is something not quite right with the 88/89 skid plate that I have. It will be going back to XFR as soon as I get my replacement.

If you're still reading at this point and care to know more, the pictured examples on XFR's website show the differences between the skid plates pretty well. There is a cut out/opening on the trough on the 87 that will allow the linkage greater clearance, whereas it's completely boxed in on the 88-89.

87: Honda TRX250R 87 Swing Arm Skid Plate | XFR

88/89: Honda TRX250R 88-89 Swing Arm Skid Plate | XFR
Excellent feedback!

·
Registered
13,175 Posts
"Then I called XFR. I talked to John for 35 minutes; he was super helpful, pulling up CAD drawings, measuring physical samples, etc. to make sure we got to the bottom of this. We determined that the correct.......John had the 87 skid plate boxed up and tracking information sent before we hung up the phone. Great customer service by John and XFR"

Ditto; my experience with XFR has been always helpful, and positive..

Carlos

1 - 17 of 17 Posts