Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats going on guys? I recently picked up what appears to be a LAEGER TRX500R. I was hoping maybe some of you could chime in and let me know if it is, in fact, what I think it is. This frame had the early style bolt on foot pegs rather than the 88/89 pin set up, leading me to believe it was built in 86 or 87 maybe... Definitely a cr500 motor,+8 swinger (cr500 link), stock width a arms and flip top sub frame. My plan is to restore it to as close to original as I can. The steering stem and arms appear to have only been zinc coated, giving it that gold and red stock look. and if anyone can help me out with the style bushings that were used on both the engine mounts and the pivot bolt, that would be awesome. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated guys. Not sure if I plan to keep it or sell it after the resto. Definitely a piece of trx history. From what I've read, there were only a few of these frames made by Laeger. Every one I've seen has been slightly different...I tried contacting Laeger about it, but they weren't any help....somewhere i thought I read that Mark Laeger was a member on the site, but not sure. If any of you guys might know him personally, would you mind running the thread by him? Of all people, I would think he would know the most about it....Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Got any more pics?

I doubt you'll get a good answer or any good info from the current owner of Laeger's. Mark Laeger (the original owner) is the guy you'd want to talk to. I know @croat1 has talked to him before. Maybe he could chime in and help you out

Reactions: noles424

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think that is a first generation JP Racing frame. JP is now Lonestar but back then Mark Laeger worked for JP. I have the old Dirt Wheels article were Mark Laeger is in the sand dunes holding that CR500 JP quad off the ground showing how lite it is. It is a cool article, JP was making frames for the CR500 250R and CR80 engines.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That is a monument to history there. I hope you restore that baby. It's like a cross between the MC frame and the quad. If I remember, the quad in the article that matt250r21 is talking about had a crank driven injection system......I salivated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I can't find where I wrote Mark laegers number down at but he's the one to contact. The current owners of Laegers are of zero help with Marks older work.

I'm sure Alan ( protrax on here) has it. Send him a pm.

Good luck w the restoration. Very interesting project you have there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a monument to history there. I hope you restore that baby. It's like a cross between the MC frame and the quad. If I remember, the quad in the article that matt250r21 had a crank driven injection system......I salivated.
That's exactly what I was thinking about the frame. Looks like a cross between the mc frame and quad frame. It appears to have been gussetted after being built originally, but the gussets look great as do the welds. The frame did have a couple cracks the have been repaired with big ol' booger welds, but those will be addressed before new powder. The original welds look like a stack of dimes!!! SICK!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think that is a first generation JP Racing frame. JP is now Lonestar but back then Mark Laeger worked for JP. I have the old Dirt Wheels article were Mark Laeger is in the sand dunes holding that CR500 JP quad off the ground showing how lite it is. It is a cool article, JP was making frames for the CR500 250R and CR80 engines.
I sure would like to see the article. any chance you can scan it? I was thinking that this frame was maybe set up originally for a LT500???
joe

·
Registered
313 Posts
Call Jimmy at T&T in Bardstown KY 502-3484847 - he has done alot of stuff with Mark and knows how to contact him. He has almost all the Laegers.

I would guess this is a JP frame, probably built by Mark Laeger about 91 time frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking about the frame. Looks like a cross between the mc frame and quad frame. It appears to have been gussetted after being built originally, but the gussets look great as do the welds. The frame did have a couple cracks the have been repaired with big ol' booger welds, but those will be addressed before new powder. The original welds look like a stack of dimes!!! SICK!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

1 - 12 of 12 Posts