Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kick start is fine, i just want to make it shiny lol, im just wondering, if i can just use paint stripper, sand it, then polish it with a buffing wheel and mothers polish, or do i have to use paint stripper and a wire wheel?

·
Registered
443 Posts
If it’s a factory kicker it is steel so the shiny won’t hold up you’ll need to chrome it,if it’s aluminum the mother’s polish works pretty good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it’s a factory kicker it is steel so the shiny won’t hold up you’ll need to chrome it,if it’s aluminum the mother’s polish works pretty good.
Im pretty sure its OEM but a secobd opinion never hurts pardon the ugliness, this photo is a lil old

·
Registered
207 Posts
Your OEM steel kicker doesn't appear to be painted so paint stripper won't do much to it. If you try to polish it & leave it uncoated like Action69 said it will develop surface rust very quickly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

• Your OEM steel kicker doesn't appear to be painted so paint stripper won't do much to it. If you try to polish it & leave it uncoated like Action69 said it will develop surface rust very quickly.
    Do you have any recommendations that i coukd do apart from chroming, maybe sonething like clear coat?

·
Registered
147 Posts

• Do you have any recommendations that i coukd do apart from chroming, maybe sonething like clear coat?
You can powder coat, crome plate, paint and clear, get a aluminium one. You can try to buff/brush your OEM one and clear it, but as stated many times, it's not going to work in your favor.
I would paint and clear it.. alot if I was on a tight budget., or get a aftermarket aluminum one and polish away!!.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can powder coat, crome plate, paint and clear, get a aluminium one. You can try to buff/brush your OEM one and clear it, but as stated many times, it's not going to work in your favor.
I would paint and clear it.. alot if I was on a tight budget., or get a aftermarket aluminum one and polish away!!.
I seen a guy a few months ago and he said a wire wheel and aircraft paint stripper helped him do his, and the jug was oem and same material as the kick start lever ( i also plan on doing this with my jug lol)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks man, im
Yes spend some time with 500++ sandpaper And polish away. Jug will look awesome
Thanks Idaho, im hoping it will come out nice, im gonna wait a lil bit, because i wanna do it when my uncle and i strip down our R's and im gonna repaint my frame and other things ive been dying to do

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you want just that fresh clean aluminum look get it vapor blasted it’ll probably be around $50,come out better than new and no effort on your part.the cylinder is aluminum and the kicker is steel.two totally different finishes.also consider if painting the kicker it probably won’t hold up to well being there is going to be constant wear when kicking the quad over in boots etc..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I polished mine years ago using sanding discs then polishing discs on my dremel. It looked just like chrome when I was done. Shortly after I decided to powder coat it and I had to argue with the sandblaster that it wasn't chrome lol. It can be done, it will look cool, it won't look cool for long without constant attention.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I polished mine years ago using sanding discs then polishing discs on my dremel. It looked just like chrome when I was done. Shortly after I decided to powder coat it and I had to argue with the sandblaster that it wasn't chrome lol. It can be done, it will look cool, it won't look cool for long without constant attention.
Looks like I'm gonna be wire wheeling it every couple of months...imo it's worth it to me,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts