Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal on pro-x bigbore motors more so when cold starting ? And what causes this as I have not experienced this at all on a stock cylinder motor ? How do you minimize/avoid it from happening as mine seem to occur after every three kick cycles :angry: . BTW my cold compression reading is at 180 psi.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Kick back most times will happen as the crank is slowing down from a kick. When you kick a 250R you got to kick it just like as if you were doing kunfoo with your foot, real fast & hard like your trying to knock the foot peg off.

When you start to kick, move the lever slowly untill you feel a little jerk. That little jerk will be when the piston has rotated to top dead center. Once you feel that, back off the kicker & get another grip so that you can get all the rotation you can get to the crank. Normally if you do the kicking process like this you wont have the kickback.
I guess in a short version you could say it is ignition timming because whats happening is the pistons not getting to the place when the ignition sparks as it normally would when running.
Neil

·
Registered
722 Posts
you may want to try like a programable dyna box, or a cr igniton. the cr retards at start up, making the "kickback" less painful, or if you have a programble box you can program it anyway you like. we have a BITCHEN new CDI box we will be testing its fully programable, 4 different maps. It seems to be superior to the DYNA so far......we will see..

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
you may want to try like a programable dyna box, or a cr igniton. the cr retards at start up, making the "kickback" less painful, or if you have a programble box you can program it anyway you like. we have a BITCHEN new CDI box we will be testing its fully programable, 4 different maps. It seems to be superior to the DYNA so far......we will see..
Who is "we." Do you own a performance shop or work at one?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kick back most times will happen as the crank is slowing down from a kick. When you kick a 250R you got to kick it just like as if you were doing kunfoo with your foot, real fast & hard like your trying to knock the foot peg off.

When you start to kick, move the lever slowly untill you feel a little jerk. That little jerk will be when the piston has rotated to top dead center. Once you feel that, back off the kicker & get another grip so that you can get all the rotation you can get to the crank. Normally if you do the kicking process like this you wont have the kickback.
I guess in a short version you could say it is ignition timming because whats happening is the pistons not getting to the place when the ignition sparks as it normally would when running.
Neil
Neil is right. Give it a swift ninja kick and you will have less problems.

·
Registered
190 Posts
the technique that neil described is the only way to crank em, regardless of what cc it is. best way i can describe is how i've seen the ole Harleys cranked.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I've noticed my motors do this at times also .. does it after the first or second kick then I know on the third ....she's gonna go !! :)
...or :D maybe its just me getting warmed up

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I've done the same as Neil describes also and it rarely kicks back on me. I didn't realize that the "jerk" was TDC.

·
Registered
495 Posts
let us know :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Neil
I guess my knees are getting weak from old age :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts