Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86' trx and ill tighten the chain up i try not to get it too tight and i will ride a few minutes and its back loose. How tight does it need to be and how do i get it to stay where i set it?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If it was mine I would take carrier out inspect as to why this could be happening, replace oring on carrier if stock and replace rubber retainers that are held by swing arm. And one more thing buy a wire brush and clean all debris in that hole if any or scuff up a bit so rovings have some where to bite on in there

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
there needs to be 1 inch of slack, travel, vertical movment at its loosest point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree a 1 inch slack would be enough. By the way make sure that your chain is still in good condition or else it would be very hard to adjust the tension.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Tighten the chain, with the required slack. With a black marker, place a straight continuous line, across the left side of the carrier on to the swingarm. Go for your ride.
After the ride, check the black line for misalignment. If the line on the carrier has moved, the carrier is not holding tight. The pinch blots are not tight enough or the carrier is worn.
Could be an outside chance the swingarm, has an issue, but not likely. If the line hasn't moved, the chain is seriously stretching.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
If it was mine I would take carrier out inspect as to why this could be happening, replace oring on carrier if stock and replace rubber retainers that are held by swing arm. And one more thing buy a wire brush and clean all debris in that hole if any or scuff up a bit so rovings have some where to bite on in there
there needs to be 1 inch of slack, travel, vertical movment at its loosest point.
check your swingarm pivot bearings and axle carrier bearing for slop.
X2...

If running the OEM swingarm, look at the swingarm two spots were the rubber cushions stick out. Notice the two slots with the round hole ends...if you see small cracks going out from the holes, then your carrier will come loose as it can not remain tightened...this is typical for the OEM swingarm, they develop cracks at these locations, once the cracks are visible, and significant enough, the chain will loosen up rather quickly.

Solution:

Replace the swingarm or grind out the cracks & weld two small steel washers over each hole were the cracks developed....grind smooth and problem solved.

Carlos

·
Registered
329 Posts
Your chain will tighten up a real lot when you sit on your wheeler. when i'm not on mine it's real loose. I sit on it and bend over to check slack look for an inch or so of slack while sitting on it. Being too tight is not good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts