Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone posted about a coating that they apply over there polished aluminun parts and it keeps it looking new leaving little matinance ?
if anyone recals this plesae pm me on this. Thank you
Douglas

·
Registered
540 Posts
sealant over polished aluminum surfaces? It was me....

Douglas did you find something, and test it for a period of time? Let us all know...........

Thank you!

·
Registered
632 Posts
My neighbour told me he uses golf club head polish to keep his aluminum car engine parts on his hotrod all shiny for the summer... Ive never tried it but his hotrod engine always looks good

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was reading a post a few days ago on .org or .com and i read that someone said he uses a solution that keeps his aluminum looking new with out the hassel of continual polish. it was not something i reconized. so i pasted the info and said i would google it but i forgot to. on this new build i have a lot of polished parts. my banshee has guite a few so what i do in general is after i power was my bike i spray all my bikes down with wd 40 every where frame motor under fenders radiator rims chain ect. it keeps any metals from rusting and oxidizing. i spray the top part of my plastics with tire foam and walk away when it all settles they always look fresh. and the next ride the dirt just slides off at the power wash.
if that member replys i will post it up for a sticky .
Thank you
Douglas

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
You just have to stay on top of aluminum... Constantly wipe off excess dirt, keep it dry, and polish with a quality polishing compound often..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sharkhide

I
actually called the business that sells this product, and I believe it was the owner I spoke to about this product. He was very careful in his statements about the product. After buying an aluminum polish to try based on a forum recommendation, I did not want to take a chance on this Sharkhide product based on my conversation. There was something weird too about distribution, or size of the order I cannot remember. If someone else has tested and loved the results, I would be happy to buy, and handle the logistics of getting some for my own use.

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
You can polish aluminum until it looks like glass! Getting aluminum to shine is simple, keeping it that why is impossible! Aluminum after exposed to the elements is going to fade and develop a grimey look and feel to it..

You've got to just keep polishing aluminum to keep looking good..

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sharkhide

I
actually called the business that sells this product, and I believe it was the owner I spoke to about this product. He was very careful in his statements about the product. After buying an aluminum polish to try based on a forum recommendation, I did not want to take a chance on this Sharkhide product based on my conversation. There was something weird too about distribution, or size of the order I cannot remember. If someone else has tested and loved the results, I would be happy to buy, and handle the logistics of getting some for my own use.
Ebay has the protectant starting at $59.00....The whole kit will set you back $135.00......

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Douglas I read somewhere on a local Craigslist add for powder coating polished parts with a clear coat.
Don't exactly know if that would work haven't seen anything in person but the finished pics on the ad looked great.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Douglas I read somewhere on a local Craigslist add for powder coating polished parts with a clear coat.
Don't exactly know if that would work haven't seen anything in person but the finished pics on the ad looked great.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Douglas nice talking to you earlier, but my answer is chrome it and you will not ever have to polish. That is if it can be chromed!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm the one who posted about sharkhide, I'm in love with the stuff, I used it on my aluminum boat that I built, still looks new, used it on all the metal parts on my 250r

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Douglas I read somewhere on a local Craigslist add for powder coating polished parts with a clear coat.Don't exactly know if that would work haven't seen anything in person but the finished pics on the ad looked great.
i have used clear coats in the past but they don't hold up well to solvents re gas oil pressure washer. and some times yellow over time

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Douglas nice talking to you earlier, but my answer is chrome it and you will not ever have to polish. That is if it can be chromed!!!
today you can chrome anything. or even spray spectra chrome. nice talking to you as wellDouglas

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm the one who posted about sharkhide, I'm in love with the stuff, I used it on my aluminum boat that I built, still looks new, used it on all the metal parts on my 250r
HA there you are . Thanks for chimein in. i read your post a few days ago and i wanted to know more on this. my new build has a lot of polished parts and maybe this is the direction to go. i have an 06 swinger shocks linkage cylinder handle bars ect ect ect.... Can you give us detailed information on this product with the experiance you have had. As how long ago did you apply product and to what parts. Whats the wear facton and all.Thank youDouglas

·
Registered
308 Posts
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I put the stuff on my boat every year, its thin hinda like laquer thinner, you wash the aluminum once it's polished with a good soap (I use. industrial fallout remover) once it's dry you wipe the sharkhide on with pieces of cloth baby diapers. It dries really quickly like laquer thinner. It protects really well. It does wear off if things are rubbing on it, but you just wash it and wipe the shark hide on again. It doesent yellow or peel off. I did my new air box, ebrake eliminator on the caliper, my new aluminum rad, shrouds, all the aluminum bits.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts