Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive exhaust
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Got an 86 trx250r with a 89 cr500 motor. I know about the vibrations, frame cracking and everything. So I don't need 1000 comments about it. I like it and it's a cool piece but it's not very rider friendly. My question is what should I do with it? Keep it a 500 and try to build it a little better? True and balance crank? Or do I sell it and buy a regular 250r? Or since it has some good aftermarket parts, should I swap it back to a 250r? Doesn't look like they hacked the frame up to make it fit. Kind of up in the air with it. It doesnt/won't get ridden a ton. I have other stuff to ride. Mainly something fun to mess with for a few hours at a time. Also anyone know what I could sell the 500 motor for? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1986 250R
219 Posts
Imo, I would keep it how it is. Just freshen it up a bit like you said. It’s a unique convo piece and you clearly have a great stable of machines to ride, and if it’s not going to get that much use as you say, I would just leave it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. My buddies keep telling me to leave it a 500. I just like to tinker so I was debating what to do. Appericiate the advice.
Imo, I would keep it how it is. Just freshen it up a bit like you said. It’s a unique convo piece and you clearly have a great stable of machines to ride, and if it’s not going to get that much use as you say, I would just leave it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I would just keep it as is. If it's not going to get ridden a lot or for long periods, just deal with the vibrations and keep on top of the frame. If you can put a 250R motor back in without any mods, maybe keep an eye out for a 250R motor and just swap it in for a little while and see how you like it, then decide. If you try tearing into the motor to get it balanced and trued, you may spend a lot of money without a lot of difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would just keep it as is. If it's not going to get ridden a lot or for long periods, just deal with the vibrations and keep on top of the frame. If you can put a 250R motor back in without any mods, maybe keep an eye out for a 250R motor and just swap it in for a little while and see how you like it, then decide. If you try tearing into the motor to get it balanced and trued, you may spend a lot of money without a lot of difference.
Appericiate the advice. Yeah it won't get ridden much. Just something cool to have and mess with. Got lucky and they didn't fab the frame at all to fit the motor. Made all custom brackets to fit it in there. So going back to a 250 would be easy. Would I need all new Ignition system and stuff to go back to a 250 if I decided to?

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I have a laeger frame 250R. The motor mounts are very interesting. They appear to us a front A-arm inner bushing as a cushion. If I had a stock frame and I was worried about vibration I would consider it. I currently do not have an engine for my chassis. but this fall when the billet cases come in I will be making a rear motor mount that is the same concept. I just need cases to get good measurements. Basically just recreating the stock one with a bigger piece of tubing(came ID and OD as the swing arm and using swing arm bushings. I have some other things I want to try on the front and mid mount, but they are slightly higher on the pain in the ass scale. having a solid mounted motor is probably the biggest flaw on the honda quads. I would make a kit to rubber mount the whole thing, but I don't think the average guy would be willing to weld the bushing holders for the mid mount. I could really do a bitchin job if I had a stock frame and case to design from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts