Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had this quad for about 6 months and been working on it since. i will have pictures of the front end tomorrow. but i did all the powder coating myself and right now am having LED do the motor and will have pictures of that in a few weeks. IMG_0037 (1).JPG IMG_0036 (1).JPG IMG_0122.JPG IMG_0042.JPG 20191110_122943_030.jpg just some crappy photos of it, but the clutch cover is the general scheme of the motor. and the far away one is from the one time o got to ride it. but like i said i will have pictures of it currently tomorrow. i just have to put it back together.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking good... Is that winchester?
how in Gods green earth did you guess that. it is winchester and this was he first and only time ive gotten to ride this thing because well i kind of broke the clutch case but one stop shop down in reeds port had an extra one. im guessing you are around here if you guessed that. but that was the day before the second foot surgery that iv'e had. (the surgery did nothing).

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
how in Gods green earth did you guess that. it is winchester and this was he first and only time ive gotten to ride this thing because well i kind of broke the clutch case but one stop shop down in reeds port had an extra one. im guessing you are around here if you guessed that. but that was the day before the second foot surgery that iv'e had. (the surgery did nothing).
my wife went through with her foot same thing. hope you don't have many crappy days with that foot slowing you down in life.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes I'm from Oregon & have been riding our dunes since 1985. I got my 86 TRX in 1988 when I was 13 & still have the same R today. We have an annual West coast 250R meet at Winchester in August, you should check it out. You can find the info for it on the other 250R site.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah Mr. Eyeball! We know those dunes from years of riding them. I personally have been riding them for 20 years. You should definitely come to the 250R gathering in August.
Loren

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok that makes sense all the people that actually know about 250r's are all from the oregon dunes. ive only been there twice but can remember every dune there. yeah that was the day before my surgery and i crashed it and ran over my feet almost breaking both my legs. didnt though. and i put a hole in the case the day before. but got it all sorted out a few weeks later and went to change the oil in it and broke the crank case. 20200103_182617 (1).jpg you cant really see it in the picture but its just left of the oil drip. took my whole motor apart and rebuilding it. should be getting my cases back in a couple weeks and then i will powder coat them and have the whole motor put back together.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are people that powder coat cases & have been successful at it but Honda recommends not heating the cases to above 220 degrees or somewhere close to that & most pc ovens bake parts around 400 degrees. Personally the only coating I'd put on an R engine or any other bike engine for that matter is paint.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are people that powder coat cases & have been successful at it but Honda recommends not heating the cases to above 220 degrees or somewhere close to that & most pc ovens bake parts around 400 degrees. Personally the only coating I'd put on an R engine or any other bike engine for that matter is paint.
the powder i use can be put on around 200 degrees but i will go further than that just to be sure and ive done several cases before and theye all turned out fine but thank you for the advice

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
the powder i use can be put on around 200 degrees but i will go further than that just to be sure and ive done several cases before and theye all turned out fine but thank you for the advice
Unless you meant 200C (Note the "C" for Celsius), their are NO PC that can be "put on around" 200F, 98% of PC is applied at 370F-390F, or close to 195-200C.

Carlos

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless you meant 200C (Note the "C" for Celsius), their are NO PC that can be "put on around" 200F, 98% of PC is applied at 370F-390F, or close to 195-200C.

Carlos
i do all my powder coating on my own in my shop and i have put on and had it flow out correctly on plastic and cases at 200 degrees Fahrenheit. but of course you wouldn't know what flow out means.

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
i do all my powder coating on my own in my shop and i have put on and had it flow out correctly on plastic and cases at 200 degrees Fahrenheit. but of course you wouldn't know what flow out means.
OK...so now the correct terminology is "flow out", I get what you are saying. Big difference between "put on" and "flow out".

Not a Powder Coat expoert, however; I know You can apply with parts pre-heated at 200F or lower, however; you can't cure at 200F....you need to cure at the Higher Temperatures as stated. Point being at those Temperatures, the Temper is ruined, and you end up with soft Cases whose Bores easily enlarge...."but of course you wouldn't know" anything about Metallurgy.

Carlos

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK...so now the correct terminology is "flow out", I get what you are saying. Big difference between "put on" and "flow out".

Not a Powder Coat expoert, however; I know You can apply with parts pre-heated at 200F or lower, however; you can't cure at 200F....you need to cure at the Higher Temperatures as stated. Point being at those Temperatures, the Temper is ruined, and you end up with soft Cases whose Bores easily enlarge...."but of course you wouldn't know" anything about Metallurgy.

Carlos
200 degrees does not ruin the temper as far as i know. you might be right on that one. but cylinders are fine because the average running temp is a little below that. and i was just making it simpler for the people that might not know about how powder coating. and you can get a correct cure at 200 degrees. because you put the powder on in... well powder form and it only takes about 180 degrees Fahrenheit but i use 200 just to make it a little bit quicker on these soft metals. and the powder turns into a gel which then is your cure and you generally leave it in there for 20 minutes at 400 degrees and then take it out but you can just take it out just then. and im doing a chrome powder first then a anodized red which the chrome powder is only left in the oven until 3 minutes after the "flow out" but after doing it at the lower temprature i have found that leaving it in there for 6 minutes is better. then the anodized red powder will be applied when the case is still hot or you can do the exact same thing as you did with the chrome.

·
Registered
286 Posts
never powder cilinder. all say that.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
200 degrees does not ruin the temper as far as i know. you might be right on that one. but cylinders are fine because the average running temp is a little below that. and i was just making it simpler for the people that might not know about how powder coating. and you can get a correct cure at 200 degrees. because you put the powder on in... well powder form and it only takes about 180 degrees Fahrenheit but i use 200 just to make it a little bit quicker on these soft metals. and the powder turns into a gel which then is your cure and you generally leave it in there for 20 minutes at 400 degrees and then take it out but you can just take it out just then. and im doing a chrome powder first then a anodized red which the chrome powder is only left in the oven until 3 minutes after the "flow out" but after doing it at the lower temprature i have found that leaving it in there for 6 minutes is better. then the anodized red powder will be applied when the case is still hot or you can do the exact same thing as you did with the chrome.
i powdercoat and it will flow out at 200degf but doesn't cure at that low of a temp.PERIOD!!!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
and people worrie about 200deg.hell they can get to 260deg running.air cooled get 360deg.my rancher oil cooler fan doesnt turn on till 360 deg.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts