Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been off and on trying to get a 36PJ jetted. I feel like I have finally gotten there. Bike accelerates without hesitation or bog. I can cruise around in 3rd gear and hit the throttle and the bike pulls itself up without an issue. Since we have had good summer weather (80-90deg) and that is typically when I will be doing Harescrambles on this bike, I gave it a few hours this weekend to get the jetting sorted out. After trying 2 needles and multiple clips along with multiple mains one at a time, I was able to work out what I believe was a rich hesitation and get it to cleanly accelerate with no hesitation or bog.

I can't get this thing to idle, which I've heard is kind of a known issue for PJ's. While it would be great to have an idle, at this point I'll settle for just having a clean running machine. In all honestly I'm not sure if my pilot is correct but I'm within 3 turns of the AS and I have good crisp throttle chop. Although, I had a 45 in and had an even crisper low take off, but out of caution I settled on a 48.

I finally landed at CEJ 2nd from top, 172 main, and a 48 pilot. I even went back to a 175 for peace of mind and it stumbled a bit so I put the 172 back in and the stumble was gone. So I feel like 172 is it. Same for the needle clip. I had a load up hesitation feeling on different clip spots. 2nd clip an the 172 seemed to rid it.

Arlan at LED had suggested a CEJ 4th clip, 162-170, 55 pilot from their PJ history. So I'm not too far off in my opinion.

Bike has an OEM cylinder 300 resleeve woods port, No lid OEM airbox, and RAD valve, LRD Pipe/Silencer running 110 CAM2 using BR8EG's located in MD

Plug I had been using to ride around testing jetting looked good all things considered. However, after bringing it to a friends house this afternoon to do a long straight plug chop (new plug). I got absolutely nothing on the plug. The chop was 1-5th gear but probably only about 5-10sec total. It's alarming me a bit, but the bike seems to responds great, so perhaps it needs more time on the pull to get an indication on the plug?

Or do I forget about the pull and chop and use the feeling when riding as my determiner? How would you determine if you should use an 8 or a 9 plug?

Sorry for the novel, it's just been a while trying to find the time to get this PJ jetted and get to riding this bike and I've never really jetted from scratch before. Just don't want to blow it up.
Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Gas Auto part

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't worry about your pilot being too lean with a 45. That seems a touch lean but if its what your R wants than thats what you should give it. It's highly unlikely & almost impossible that you'll burn your engine up while its idling on the pilot circuit. I have a 38as pwk & 2 39pwk's & they all have 172-180 mains & 45 or 48 pilots. You'll need to put a little more time on the plug than a single pull to get a reading.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts