Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all well since last posting on here i have raced my quad and after the head work i did it pulled better and was beating 450s and 500s to the first corner not bad for a250cc,but in racing you always want more,so i know about the cr 2000/2001 ignitions working on the trx but ive heard that they work up to 2007 is this correct,also what if i take some metal out of the stock flywheel in a lathe would that be okay has has anyone done this!cheers paul.

·
Registered
504 Posts
call bdt. new cr ign in stock. best of best.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
bad ass flywheel n weight.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

·
Registered
504 Posts
vortex type cdi. with 01 cr curve.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

·
Registered
504 Posts
stator has lights. bdt rect. 130 watts.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

·
Registered
393 Posts
The proper way to lighten your oem flywheel is to drill shallow holes in it. Pretty much the same way you would balance it. If you remove any material at all you must balance the flywheel or you will have problems. 99+ CR250 ignitions are great for aiding in starting your R and are better for faster revving, but one thing I noticed after installing one in my Hybrid Engineering 391 is it is very stall happy. Much less forgiving than the oem ignition. So much so that I have a flywheel weight ready to go on. So in effect you lose rotational mass with a CR250R flywheel, but gain starting ease. Basically when you dive into a corner you better be in the perfect gear or be slipping the shit out of your clutch. Or get a flywheel weight to gain back the rotational mass which will diminish the faster rev time.
These are just my opinions that come from my experiences. Those experiences are from riding a CR250R for the last 20 years (flywheel weight installed after first few rides) and riding 250R'S for the last 10 years.
It would be in your best interest to wait for a few guys to respond that actually ride MX with their R's, I don't. I used to 10+ years ago with my CR250R and can say that the flywheel weight helped me in and out of corners.
Loren

Reactions: american opel

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
hi all well since last posting on here i have raced my quad and after the head work i did it pulled better and was beating 450s and 500s to the first corner not bad for a250cc,but in racing you always want more,so i know about the cr 2000/2001 ignitions working on the trx but ive heard that they work up to 2007 is this correct,also what if i take some metal out of the stock flywheel in a lathe would that be okay has has anyone done this!cheers paul.
To lighten your OEM flywheel, do your research, as the most common way is not to “drill” holes, it is to machine the outer diameter down and across to reduce 100-125 grams. The holes are used to balance the flywheel if needed.

The Honda CR250R IGN's have been fully discontinued from Honda. The 2001 was discontinued 5-6 years ago, and the 2002-07 1 1/2 years ago. BDT had the last remaining stock of all CR250R IGN's, they are all gone…. hence; the new BDT IGN CR250R based IGN with Lighting 100W Coil.

The added weight of the BDT Flywheel vs CR OEM plus the added disc weight on the BDT CR IGN flywheel does make a big difference, the stall effect is for the most part totally gone. Yet; it revs to the moon since the rev limiter built into OEM ATC/TRX250R CDI IGN’s is gone. The BDT CR250R IGN does not drop timing till above 11.5K RPM, aproxitemelty 3000 RPM higher than OEM Stock IGN.

The Vortex type CDI of the CR BDT IGN has the same timing curve programed in as the 2001 CR250R IGN. The BDT CR250R IGN Stator has a built-in set of Lighting Coils, with 100W continues operational capabilities.

Bottom line; we have a great IGN available from BDT Motorsports, It's proven, reliable, and affordable at $898.99 as a complete 'bolt on and go' system (just add a kill switch or on/off), everything included is new; OEM CR Coil, Boot, Lighted 100W Stator, CR Billet Adapter Plate, Weighted Flywheel, Vortex type CDI + 2001 Timing Curve, and Made in USA.

Carlos

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks both for info norm i think a lighter flywheel should be ok for me as i race grasstrack which i think is like your tt basically a oval circuit so corners are quite quick but i understand where your coming from with the low down torque issue.thanks carlos for that comprehensive information on whats available dont know wether i could stretch my pocket that far plus what with the import tax on top,so i have some choice thou up to year 20-07 will work if i can pick up a second hand one up might be a better option then messing with the stock one.cheers paul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts