Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have come across stator and flywheel from a cr2001 guy wants 250pounds but has no oem cdi but does have a new hpi cdi thats programmable and wants 200pounds for that,has any one any experiance with these cdi units cheers paul

·
Registered
409 Posts
Unless its arlans new updated hpi I'd pass on that. Cr is way to go, sucks there's no cdi with that though, those are spendy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi thanks for reply so do hpi just make cdi,s just for arlen spec whats wrong with the rest of hpi cdis! the guy races superkarts and said h has been using hpi for 6 years no issues but i obviously want to get some views and feedback on them hopfully ill get some views on here too,yeah it sucks that arent mant 2001 cdi,s around not in the uk anyway,have you had issues with hpi .cheers paul

·
Registered
504 Posts
hpi is junk. ok 4 karts. not 250r.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi thanks for reply so do hpi just make cdi,s just for arlen spec whats wrong with the rest of hpi cdis! the guy races superkarts and said h has been using hpi for 6 years no issues but i obviously want to get some views and feedback on them hopfully ill get some views on here too,yeah it sucks that arent mant 2001 cdi,s around not in the uk anyway,have you had issues with hpi .cheers paul
BDT has CR 2001 ignitions with ability to run lights.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for inputs all, matuus why are they ok for karts but not trx is there a reason! i want to stick with oem if i can find one, i know bdt have a good set up but when import tax for me is slapped on top the final bill is a bit out of my reach

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
My input, not speaking for Matuus….

On Karts the RPM range and power is a lot different than what's needed for a 250R. Karts operate at High RPM's, TrQ is not nearly as important as HP at Top RPM's for Karts, Inertia is not a factor in Karts, it is in 250R’s.

The HPI or PVL unit’s work in Karts, or any application operating at very high RPM’s, and a relatively Light vehicle/rider. The heavier ATC’s and even heavier TRX’s do not lend themselves well to the HPI/PVL units, even when adding extra flywheel weight.

On the New BDT CR250R 2001 Type IGN’s we even added 380 grams of flywheel weight, basically doubling the standard CR250R Flywheel total weight, and virtually eliminating any stall found with the stock CR250R IGN’s.

PS: "import tax" is based on the value of what is being imported; hope you understand what I am saying.

Carlos

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi carlos yes i understand what your saying and i doubt ii will invest in the hpi im pretty cautious about unknown quantities and i like to understand things ,so i still have a couple of questions which im sure you will answer for me,, if it is programmable couldnt it programmed to suit the trx, and changing to the cr ignition is it the lighter flywheel or the cdi that gives the noticable difference in performance over the stock set up cheers paul

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
hi carlos yes i understand what your saying and i doubt ii will invest in the hpi im pretty cautious about unknown quantities and i like to understand things ,so i still have a couple of questions which im sure you will answer for me,, if it is programmable couldnt it programmed to suit the trx, and changing to the cr ignition is it the lighter flywheel or the cdi that gives the noticable difference in performance over the stock set up cheers paul
Not just a question of programing the CDI or adding weight to the PVL/HPI units. You can program the CDI like a 2001 CR250R, and you can add 12-16 ounces of weight, however; the performance is still not close to the CR250R IGN Types as far as low to mid-range TrQ, and performance behavior over the power band.

A lot has to do with the design/function of the stator & stator pickup, internal flywheel magnets (energizes coils), and flywheel pick-up tab. All of these are not present in a PVL type unit such as HPI.

Carlos

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi carlos thanks for info always appreciated, in this case it was just the hpi cdi combined with the cr stator and flywheel so perhaps no so bad! but with all views at the moment im being convinced to go complete cr set up or just to stay with stock oem especially with the work ive done on engine to improve torque due to the exhaust port heights on my cylinder,. thanks paul.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
hi carlos thanks for info always appreciated, in this case it was just the hpi cdi combined with the cr stator and flywheel so perhaps no so bad! but with all views at the moment im being convinced to go complete cr set up or just to stay with stock oem especially with the work ive done on engine to improve torque due to the exhaust port heights on my cylinder,. thanks paul.
If you like OEM, stick with OEM IGN. The BDT CR250R IGN is a good improvement vs stock OEM.

BDT has new 86-87 and 88-89 CDI's, made in Japan. These new BDT CDI’s work like OEM, in the smaller 1985 type Box, sell for $99.98 plus shipping, and are in stock.

Carlos

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you like OEM, stick with OEM IGN. The BDT CR250R IGN is a good improvement vs stock OEM.

BDT has new 86-87 and 88-89 CDI's, made in Japan. These new BDT CDI’s work like OEM, in the smaller 1985 type Box, sell for $99.98 plus shipping, and are in stock.

Carlos
thanks carlos thats not a bad price ill keep my eye open for a cr ignition its something id like to try the karting scene might be a good place to find one if the prefer different ignitions,if i say ran a 310 cckit would that still run ok on stock igntion.cheers paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks carlos thats not a bad price ill keep my eye open for a cr ignition its something id like to try the karting scene might be a good place to find one if the prefer different ignitions,if i say ran a 310 cckit would that still run ok on stock igntion.cheers paul
furgot to ask caclos how much is a 2001 cr cdi on its own thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts