Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard talk about getting a CR ignition for an R because of the different advance curve...any idea as to what year CR should I look at?

·
Registered
365 Posts
2001 is most desirable, but upwards of $600 plus these days. If money is a concern check into the new hpi ignition s it's roughly $300 something, and comparable to the 2001 ignition and has lighting capabilities. I'm sure BDT has a set up or LED has been testing them and he likes it so far.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got a 01 setup like new 500 bucks

Also got a 05 setup 425 bucks

·
Registered
611 Posts
I got a 01 CR 250 ignition and it was the single best upgrade I did to my R. I think they're especially good for big bores. I have a Duncan 340 and it would kick back on starting, and never really ran as strong as I thought it should. Then I got the CR ignition and WOW--big difference. It starts much easier, has tons of torque, and revs to the moon.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
I got a 01 CR 250 ignition and it was the single best upgrade I did to my R. I think they're especially good for big bores. I have a Duncan 340 and it would kick back on starting, and never really ran as strong as I thought it should. Then I got the CR ignition and WOW--big difference. It starts much easier, has tons of torque, and revs to the moon.
Yes, the Honda OEM CR250R IGN is best "plug and play upgrade for the 250R. I think we can all agree Honda OEM IGN's are the very "best"...

2001 is most desirable, but upwards of $600 plus these days. If money is a concern check into the new hpi ignition s it's roughly $300 something, and comparable to the 2001 ignition and has lighting capabilities. I'm sure BDT has a set up or LED has been testing them and he likes it so far.
As far as I know; BDT is the sole current supplier for NEW complete bolt on Honda CR250R IGN's, including all Billet mounts and adapter plate. BDT stocks the complete CR250R 2004-07 Hybrid IGN's Kits...

As an FYI...the HPI units are not nearly as good, nor worth the time or expense vs a CR250R IGN IMO. 4-5 years ago, BDT tired the HPI units vs CR250R IGN, we took a full set-up to PineLake Raceway TT Nationals and ended up swapping the CR250R IGN back in to get the most out of the engine. The HPI IGN is "OK", a go to solution if you can't afford or find a good CR250R IGN...IMO

I've heard talk about getting a CR ignition for an R because of the different advance curve...any idea as to what year CR should I look at?
No on 01 or earlier years, not that they are not good, they are some of the 'Best' IGN's for a 250R. Honda discontinued the 2001 line, finding new OEM <=2001 components can be impossible, specially CDI's. The supply of <=2001 good used CDI's is very limited, and becoming harder to find any good used ones. Stick to what Honda still produces, and stocks...2002 and up, primarily 2004-07. The BDT Hybrid CR250R IGN is made up of the Best preforming component's for the 250R by matching 2004 to 2007 components, CDI's and Stators.

Carlos

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, the Honda OEM CR250R IGN is best "plug and play upgrade for the 250R. I think we can all agree Honda OEM IGN's are the very "best"...

As far as I know; BDT is the sole current supplier for NEW complete bolt on Honda CR250R IGN's, including all Billet mounts and adapter plate. BDT stocks the complete CR250R 2004-07 Hybrid IGN's Kits...

As an FYI...the HPI units are not nearly as good, nor worth the time or expense vs a CR250R IGN IMO. 4-5 years ago, BDT tired the HPI units vs CR250R IGN, we took a full set-up to PineLake Raceway TT Nationals and ended up swapping the CR250R IGN back in to get the most out of the engine. The HPI IGN is "OK", a go to solution if you can't afford or find a good CR250R IGN...IMO

No on 01 or earlier years, not that they are not good, they are some of the 'Best' IGN's for a 250R. Honda discontinued the 2001 line, finding new OEM <=2001 components can be impossible, specially CDI's. The supply of <=2001 good used CDI's is very limited, and becoming harder to find any good used ones. Stick to what Honda still produces, and stocks...2002 and up, primarily 2004-07. The BDT Hybrid CR250R IGN is made up of the Best preforming component's for the 250R by matching 2004 to 2007 components, CDI's and Stators.

Carlos
do you make a mount for the CDI unit? where does everyone mount them? any pictures?

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
do you have a link? all i can find is the coil mount
Sorry, no link. As I always state; best to call BDT and order what you need. BDT only list 50% of what we make, stock, and sell...just don't have time to keep Web & Internet sites updated.

Ask for the ATC250R CDI Mount or Coil Mount, specify CDI you're using (CR250R, OEM 86-87 or 88-89, Vortex), we will put it together based on your needs.

Carlos

1 - 11 of 11 Posts