Honda TRX250R Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
would you still heat it up the same way if the carrier was a anodized colore? You think the heat will mess up the color?
You need to heat the carrier at 200F for 1 hour to get the bearings to drop easily. You can try a slightly lower temp like 175F, might work....however; not only will the coating get a little darker, above 180F the Anodizing will crack due to the difference In thermal expansion & conductivity between the Aluminum carrier and the much lower thermal conductivity & expansion of Anodizing.

Carlos

·
Registered
147 Posts
You need to heat the carrier at 200F for 1 hour to get the bearings to drop easily. You can try a slightly lower temp like 175F, might work....however; not only will the coating get a little darker, above 180F the Anodizing will crack due to the difference In thermal expansion & conductivity between the Aluminum carrier and the much lower thermal conductivity & expansion of Anodizing.

Carlos
I know this is a old thread, but... An alternative to flame or oven heat is to use Hot water. Not boiling but flipping scolded in a second HOT. Let the part sit under or in the water for a few and things just come right out. Just clean and dry after your done.
That's how I get my bearings out of my powder coated swingarm, hub's, axle carrier so on. From my experience no damage at all from the heat source
Our water at the shop is close to 150-165°F, it doesn't take long.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
I know this is a old thread, but... An alternative to flame or oven heat is to use Hot water. Not boiling but flipping scolded in a second HOT. Let the part sit under or in the water for a few and things just come right out. Just clean and dry after your done.
That's how I get my bearings out of my powder coated swingarm, hub's, axle carrier so on. From my experience no damage at all from the heat source
Our water at the shop is close to 150-165°F, it doesn't take long.
Great information; thank you for sharing...!

Carlos

21 - 25 of 25 Posts