Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just picked up a 1986 250r. I’ve been wanting an “R” since they came out. At 48 I finally got one. Lol. As best as I can tell it’s all original. Just looking for any advice on what to check and or change right away and where the best places to get parts. Not looking to restore it. I just want to swap out the rims and tires, still has original tires, and ride it around my house.

·
Super Moderator
783 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your R! Do you have any pictures? We’ll be able to tell you exactly what you have. Hopefully it is all original, but finding original 250Rs are getting harder and harder to find.

If it already runs and rides, that’s half the battle.

As far as what to check, these are 35 year old machines, so checking any wearable components throughout the chassis would be a start - front wheel bearings, steering stem lower bearing and upper bushing, aarm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, swingarm pivot bearings, linkage bushings, and axle carrier bearings.

You’ll also want to check the frame over for any cracks. If it’s all original like you mentioned, it likely wasn’t abused too bad and the frame is probably ok.

Next would be checking out the braking system. You may need to replace the pads and, while you’re at it, you might consider rebuilding the calipers and master cylinders.

Make sure your chain and sprockets are in good shape and adjusted properly. If it doesn’t already have one, you should invest in a good case saver. I personally like the all poly ones from UPP/Moose, but they’re also kind of ugly. If you throw a chain and crack the cases, it’s an expensive fix.

You'll want to clean and oil the air filter and clean the carb, especially if it’s been sitting. If it already runs and seems to run ok, then the jetting is likely fine.

Assuming it has has the OEM ignition, you’ll want to use a BR8ES (or BR9ES) spark plugs gapped to 0.18-0.20”.

You might consider performing a compression test to understand the health of the engine as well.

The transmission case takes 80/85W oil. I like the Honda HP Trans oil personally. There’s technically an oil fill check bolt, but if you drain/change the oil just fill it back up with 24 oz (3/4 quart) and be done with it.

To find parts, I personally use Rocky Mountain ATV for new OEM parts and other odds and ends that they offer for the 250R. eBay is a great spot to find new and used parts as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Thank you for all the info. I really appreciate it. Here’s a couple pics. So far the only thing I’ve noticed is the stickers on the fenders are missing, the actual sliding part of the kill switch is missing, and the rear brakes aren’t working very good. Everything else seems to be there.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Super Moderator
783 Posts
Wow!!😮😍 That is a beautiful, all OEM 250R! You found an amazing survivor. It looks to be 100% original, even down to the tires, handlebars, and grips. I hope you got a great deal on it. To the right person, that machine is worth a pretty penny in it’s all original condition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a nice 86! I'd swap the oem plastics out and store them along with the rims/tires. Anything you replace with aftermarket make sure to hold onto if you plan on keeping the quad.
Yeah I was thinking about that. I’m still trying to decide what to do. I might just try to find a different one to ride and leave this one alone and just ride around the house once in a while. Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts