Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Middle aged Jersey guy trying to relive the dream. Used to race the LT250 back in the early early 90's when I was sponsored by the local Suzuki dealership, however I was always jealous of the 250R guys and always wanted one.

Dream machine is the 88 250R, but I couldn't find one, so I just picked myself up a very clean 86 that I had shipped in, and I cant wait to get into rebuilding and dropping some money on. Ill just keep the receipts hidden from the other half lol.

I'm sure I'll have a few thousand questions at some point, so just dropping an introduction.

Thanks in advance
Rich

·
Registered
237 Posts
Welcome & glad you decided to get into the R scene. Just because your R is an 86 doesn't mean you can't put 88 red plastic on it & make it an 88 clone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and this is a thought. Not sure my direction looks wise but I’m sure it’s almost limitless.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Decide what you want to do with it. Mx, sand, tt, xc...play bike? I would suggest setting up controls and suspension first. Never hurts to go through all the chassis on a new to you bike. Make sure bearings, bushings and hubs are all lubed and working well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna set it up for mx. Will start inspecting and tearing down soon, then the parts will come in.
I cant wait, nothing like dropping some money lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being a 250r noob, i have a few questions as you can imagine. So far here’s the info I seek.

This will be an mx build, what is the most common rear wheel/tire size, as well as the fronts?
If I go with hipers, do I have to go all four corners?, or can I go standards up front?
I see a lot a pegs for 88-89, but not so much for the 86, is this an issue getting later model pegs on the early model frame?
Do I need new rear hubs and carrier when I go extended axel?
Sorry for the questions, but I’m a total noob with the 250r and it’s my first one.
Thank you much in advance
Rich

·
Registered
639 Posts
You don't have to go hiper all the way around.
You don't need after market hubs or bearing carrier for lsr or rpm axles. I would suggest upgrading the bearing carrier for mx.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noticed after starting to break down the 250r, it doesn’t have the air box snorkel, I believe that’s what it’s called. The air box just has an open hole in the right side, is that needed and should it be plugged up?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Depends on your environment and filter. Muddy and/or wet conditions, I would plug it. I ride sand and dry dirt. My air box lid is off and the snorkel port is open

1 - 14 of 14 Posts