Honda TRX250R Forums banner

Help me with my MX setup!

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  predator68j 
#1 ·
I am getting a 87 250r in a couple of weeks. I have $3,000 to spend on mods after I get it to set it up for MX. Please give me a list of the most needed things to make this thing a great MX bike. I don't need wheels or tires as I have new MX Razr's on ITP C rims and the quad has a new clutch. Everything else is fair game. I would like the bike to have a good ammount of torque (big bore and/or porting). Obviously suspention is a must but I would like to know what is the best bang for the buck as far as setting this up. Please give me a list of parts and if possible some prices. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Here is what I would do.

1. +3+1 a-arms Long travel

2. LSR axle

3. aftermarket swingarm thats 88-89 length

4. Custom Axis shocks all the way around

5. aftermarket frame or gusset your stock one

6. steel braided lines

7. steering stabilizer

8. anti-fade lock nut

Last thing I would do is setting the engine up...You can have all the power in the world but if it doesn't handle you not going far.

BTW..I have some of these items forsale in the forsale section.

#3 ·
Depending on your skill level / if you will be racing... you may not have to go long travel. I reccomend laeger and Lonestar +2 a-arms, also you will need to upgrade the suspension, for that i reccomend elka. For the axle, go with Lonestar you cant beat their warranty.

Let me know what you want to do, i will get you a deal on any of these parts you need!

AS for the engine, i can get you any bolt on parts you need, but for porting contact C-leigh racing (he has his own forum on here) he is the man to talk to for that!

#4 ·
I will not be racing this competitively. I am building it as more of a fun track bike. I dont think I will have to go long travel and elka was what I had in mind. I will be getting this thing in about 2 weeks so the modding starts then. I will definatelty hit you up when I am ready to order all these parts! Thanks a lot ADMIN!

Depending on your skill level / if you will be racing... you may not have to go long travel. I reccomend laeger and Lonestar +2 a-arms, also you will need to upgrade the suspension, for that i reccomend elka. For the axle, go with Lonestar you cant beat their warranty.

Let me know what you want to do, i will get you a deal on any of these parts you need!

AS for the engine, i can get you any bolt on parts you need, but for porting contact C-leigh racing (he has his own forum on here) he is the man to talk to for that!

#5 ·
It only costs a couple 100 bucks more to go long shock and it looks awesome.

#6 ·
aftermarket frame
laeger pro trax front end
cr 500 link swinger
LSR axel
PEP all around
PEP stabilizer
HiPer wheels
Maxxis Razr MX tires
esr pro-x cylinder
LRD standard bore pipe
cr250 ignition
Flexx bars
38mm TMX carb
ported for mx
raise compression for race gas

#8 ·
I don't think I want to go with a new frame just yet. Race gas is preety much not an option either. I dont want to have to go through the trouble of getting race gas and worrying about making sure I have a lot if I go anywhere. I already have wheels and tires and a set of Flexx bars. Why PEP shocks instead of ELKA? What is the difference in price and performance?
aftermarket frame
laeger pro trax front end
cr 500 link swinger
LSR axel
PEP all around
PEP stabilizer
HiPer wheels
Maxxis Razr MX tires
esr pro-x cylinder
LRD standard bore pipe
cr250 ignition
Flexx bars
38mm TMX carb
ported for mx
raise compression for race gas

#10 ·
PEP ZPS shocks are just nicer shocks than elka IMO, they are a little bit more pricey and theres a longer wait time, elkas are mass produced shocsk, PEP deffently puts more time into there stuff

#11 ·
Of course depending on what it has already when you buy it. here's roughly what i would spend my 3K on

A-arms/Shock combo (if you buy u sed you can get really good deals on long travel stuff)

Rebuild rear (its fully adjustable already) or new rear shock depending on if you feel you'll race it enough to use it

Steering stabilizer (A *must*)

Axle (PRM makes some pretty nice/cheap axles) and lock nut

A good set of beadlocks/Tires

Nerfs (probably already have)

Gusset the frame for sure, probably another must

go through the motor for reliability (or at least give it a good looking over, to make sure its not about to crap on you, you dont need more power for now)

Steel braided lines

And after you have all of that, i'd focus on Ergonomics. You already have Flexx bars, maybe a taller stem or what not.

#12 ·
Heres what I am thinking of putting into this to make it good for MX
+2 a-arms
+4 axle
Elka's front and rear
ITP holeshot MXR6 tires all arround
Nerf Bars
I am going to use my flexx bars with some sort of riser at the mounts
I am also going to try and make my magura hydrolic clutch work. It is off a CRF250R but I think I can either use the stock cable location or make my own mount on the motor
Of course depending on what it has already when you buy it. here's roughly what i would spend my 3K on

A-arms/Shock combo (if you buy u sed you can get really good deals on long travel stuff)

Rebuild rear (its fully adjustable already) or new rear shock depending on if you feel you'll race it enough to use it

go through the motor for reliability (or at least give it a good looking over, to make sure its not about to crap on you, you dont need more power for now)

Steel braided lines

And after you have all of that, i'd focus on Ergonomics. You already have Flexx bars, maybe a taller stem or what not.

#14 ·
DONT get the fmf pipe, its hardly better than stock, try to get either a LRD or a sparks mx pipe, and i would also personally reccomend going for the more expensive peps(the ZPS ones)

#15 ·

Steel braided lines

i agree

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.