Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to pull out my 1986 TRX250R (aka The Demon), with the thought that it was time to trade it for a Jeep Wrangler.

Originally I bought The Demon back around 1988 and have made very, very few mods (original paint, plastic, tires, clutch, muffler, reed valve, etc.) Most years she sat in a garage, although she did spend some time outside under a tarp. The sad truth is that we have clocked maybe four hours since 1992, although I did take her to .020 over about 12 years ago with a Wiseco piston.

Of course after sitting for so long, she needed some attention. Thanks to this forum, I was able to come back up to speed on what The Demon needed:
  • New OEM switch (ATC250R of course) thanks to some of my cousin's handy work back in the early 90's while I was out of state.
  • Replaced most of the ground wiring with some 12 gauge wire (might not have needed to do this, but it is done.) The coil resistances were already within spec, still have original coil, stator, coil pickup, voltage regulator.
  • Carb: Complete cleaning, Float height adjustment, and air screw adjustment. Installed a separate fuel filter and will replace it with a new in-tank filter soon
  • Sparkplug gap adjustment
So it took about a week, but now The Demon starts on the FIRST KICK! Seriously doubt that I will get a Wrangler now, instead it would be more fun to refresh her 26 year old paint and plastic.

Thanks to all of the posts on this forum. You guys rock.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Blue '86 stocker.....YES!

Great story!

What were your thoughts of it in 1988? I mean, everyone knows they are of legend status now, but what were your initial thoughts of it back then?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Blue '86 stocker.....YES! Great story!

What were your thoughts of it in 1988? I mean, everyone knows they are of legend status now, but what were your initial thoughts of it back then?
First off, thanks!

Second, you raise a very interesting point about initial thoughts back then and I have spent a few days thinking about to ensure a flip answer was not just thrown out there. I was ~18 when I bought her, so like most things at that age I was looking for a fun and fast time; The Demon always delivered on that requirement. The guy that I bought her from had raced other equipment before moving to my area. He worked with my brother and had hit a self-inflicted hard time, so he needed to be free of a machine that he rarely rode. I can recall my older brother talking about how I really should buy this four-wheeler, how she was soooo fast, and how all I had to do was payoff the guy’s loan. So I paid the ~$1,800 without even test riding her.

Everyone that saw her wanted to ride her. Everyone that rode her drove like a bat out of hell, the funny thing is their rides were always short because I think it scared them, seriously!

Although I did not compete, I knew guys that raced ATCs and Jet-Skis (not professionally) and they also wanted to ride, often.

For times that I was not around, my older brother and cousin would sneak rides. Since the '86 model did not have a key I would have had to remove the CDI to keep them off it and what did I care, I had no idea that I would still be around much less own a legendary machine.

It's funny, the first person I called when she came back to life was my brother and the first thing he asked was if I would start storing it at his house...

·
Registered
79 Posts
my favorite color scheme. I finished my retro build. Didnt quite turn out "looking" like stock but fun to ride. Good to see there are old Blue's still around. have fun on the demon!

·
Registered
25 Posts
How is the performance of your machine after coming back? Is it running fine or needed some more care? I hope it is running fine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice story! Our bikes have the same name. I remeber when I was a kid I was riding and the throttle got stuck. Immediantly I pulled the chord and she didnt die! So I threw it in neutral and pulled the gas line out and turned the pepcock off. Took it a min or 2 but felt like a day, and thats why I call her Demon LOL. A legendary piece of machine and a good story, a wrangler wont get you that ;).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts