Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put headlights on my 86 250r. I do a lot of night riding with my friends and spring is right around the corner. I have 2 small rectangular headlights that I have tested and work well. I'm looking for the easiest way to put them on with the cr250 ignition in it. I also have a 12 volt battery if theres an easy way to setup with a battery. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Been discused a lot. cr 250 ignition dont have lighting output, and cr 250 stator with lighting output dont last and arent made anymore, so you need to run led with baterie or stock 2r ignition..

Im currently working on something to run cr 250 cdi with lighting output. will give you some news in 2 week if it work !

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed a 6 inch LED light bar on my 1986 trx 250r yesterday. I used a battery and an alternator/rectifier that I got from trail tech.

I floated the ground off the stock stator.

It took some doing but works great. I will try to post some pictures later.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You dont need to float the ground if you dont ground the light to the frame/dont ground the regulator -. pretty easy to do, best way is to get a capacitor instead of baterie so you dont have to put switch or ect , lighting 100 wath of light at idle ... just use a used 450r 2004-2005 capacitor with any 3 wire regulator having one of the yellow wire removed so it act like a std 2 wire full wave rectifier...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trail Tech recommended to use a battery, so I floated the ground, but I get what your saying about using a capacitor, certainly an option. Another reason I like the battery route is because I'm not familiar enough with wiring. Actually I know very little about how stators, capacitors, alternators, or rectifiers work. With a battery I was able to use a test light and figure out what had power and what did not. I connected a positive lead from the battery to the OEM lighting system, which sent power to my stock light switch. Using my test light I learned the blue wire inside the OEM headlight wire loom was the High Beam, so I used it for my new LED headlight.

I ran ground wire to my rear tail light in order for it to work.

With the machine off, I can turn on the lights which is good.

I installing the battery inside the front intake of the stock 250r snorkel.

·
Registered
296 Posts
yeah baterie is great too... just have mine sit outside baterie wouldnt last long lol. basicaly a capacitor is wired same as a baterie, its nothing more than a fast charge / discharge baterie.

anyway like carlos said, stock 250 r ignition have poor spark, gotta run really low gap. sadly its seem that there is no big alternative now, who would make good spark and good lighting ... w

1 - 8 of 8 Posts