Honda TRX250R Forums banner

Hard to kick start?

8K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  acecarlos 
#1 ·
New to me 88 250R with 265cc kit.

Coming from 2 wheels, I am a little shocked that the kickstarter is considerably smaller then my 05 CR250 2-stroke.....is there a way to fit a longer kickstarter? Or at aleast one that has more area for you foot/boot to catch on?

I have a 05 CR500AF and I would say it's slightly easier to start the cr500AF (does not have compression release btw).

Does having a 265 big bore kit really make it that much more difficult to start? Kicking over the 250R in work boots hurts, still isn't comfortable kicking it with MX boots on. I know as of right now my foot keeps slipping off as it makes contact with the pipe. Didn't know if someone sells a kicker that has bends in it kinda like a 2-stroke bike would.

#3 · (Edited)
Going from bikes to an R is a completely different game as your finding out. Short of welding on extensions there's really not any aftermarket options for a longer kicker. The pocket in the fenders will limit it to not much bigger than stock also unless you cut the plastic to clear it... The 265 isn't considered a bigbore but there usually built as high compression high rpm screamers so it might just take some getting used to before the kicker feels normal.... Unless you have an aftermarket cdi like Action69 mentioned than those can make your R a sob to start.

#5 ·
What's the deal with aftermarket cdi? Are they meant to increase spark at higher rpm but not good for starting. I'm willing to go back to stock if that helps. I'm looking to trail ride, no higher rpm needed. I'd have to guess that the last owner used this 250 as a flat tracker.

#17 ·
It should start in 2-3 kicks max!

Pull the Spark Plug.....is it wet ? Dry & Black ? if so....you're rich.....Turn your Air Screw out 1 turn and try again with a NEW clean properly gapped plug (0.024")

Is this a STOCK carb ? Maybe the Choke/Idle adjuster is worn or out too far.

Is your Air Filter Clean and oiled properly ?

Hows the Spark ? White ? Purple? Could be a weak ignition

Pull off the Magneto cover...Is there an RPM Ignition advancer installed ? Timing might be too far retarded.

report back what your findings are.

:D

#8 · (Edited)
Shouldn't be hard to start a 265CC OEM cylinder, actually should be fairly easy. Most likely it's over compressed, plus no such thing as "as high compression high rpm screamers"...."high compression" does NOT produce a "high rpm screamers", the reverse is true. The higher the compression, the more limited the high rpm's become. Usually high compression engines are 'stump pullers', or intended for Low to Mid Range, not any sort of high rpm's.

If you're sticking with what you have, and it is a "high compression" engine & not related to BAD aftermarket CDI's, you may want to consider a CR Valve ('Compression Release Valve')...this addition will make starting much easier, push the CR Valve in, kick start and go....usually compression is reduced 35-45lbs, once the engine fires the CR Valve closes automatically. They work great...

Carlos

#13 ·
I have 88 with ct 310. When mine wanted to fire, gave kick back and was being difficult, it was a combination of a bad cdi and fuel. Carb was lean and new cdi helped not kick back. The carb being lean was biggest issue. They tend to be very picky about fuel, oil, air mix and ratios. At least in my experience.

#22 ·
Both Used OEM, and a New Batch arriving from Japan late this month. 86-7 & 88-89 CDI's. The New CDI's are Made by the same manufacture that made the Honda CDI's for the ATC250R's & TRX250R's, as well as the current manufacture for Honda CDI's on most if not all models.

This is the Third Batch BDT will be receiving for the past 6 years, all the rest have sold out quickly, they are EXCLUSIVE to BDT, you will NOT be able to purchase the CDI's from anyone else, and YES they will ship in a Plastic Baggy...if you don't like Plastic Bags; don't purchase one.

Carlos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.