Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys this isn't about my R model but my 86 -250 Fourtrax , I figure the setup cant be much different then the R models .

So here's my Problem Family Four wheeler has been sitting in the wood shed for like 8 years without running , The battery is shot so Ive been hooking the Jumper pack cables right to the battery wires , When I do so the ignition light does come on and when the electric start is pressed it makes an attempt to start but it sounds like the starter is grinding on something ? . Somebody recommended that I test the solenoid with a volt meter to see if that's whats going wrong , But I'm no electrician!

So I checked the solenoid with the volt meter and it reads 11.83 volts not running , and when I try to start it the volt meter is all over the place and wont give a steady reading . So would that be a bad selonoid or am I doing something wrong , The starter has to be getting power or else it wouldn't be making that grinding noise ? or would it ?

Any ideas ? Flat out replace the starter ? I'm lost at this point !

·
Registered
989 Posts
11.83 volts isn't enough to charge the battery, for your quad to start you should have at least 13 volts,
don't forget the reg/rec and all the wiring has a good size voltage drop ....

I would start with a new battery, fresh fuel, clean carb and make sure no animals in the intake or exhaust,
check the plug and make sure no rust on the tip, replace plug, clean all your connections, check your oil and change it along with filter
and make sure it turns over smooth before trying to start,

then give it a try

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree a fresh battery would be a good start. And to know if the engine will turn over you can spary some starter fluid directly to the intake of the carb. Another thing about the grinding sound it could also be the a broken gear set that causes the noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so a new battery is a must , other than that I'm thinking all the bases listed above are covered

Carb has been cleaned already as well as intake and exhaust , Sparkplug has been changed and connections all look pretty good , and it has fresh gas

When I hit the Electric start its like a hit or miss as to weather it will actually engage . Sometimes it sounds like a gear grinding type of noise and other times it sounds like its just spinning in place not doing anything at all kinda of like a humming noise

Also the gas tank has some pin holes on the bottom front right corner as well as an ungodly amount of rust and nastiness accumulation inside , I filled the tank with apple cider vinegar and left it to sit for about 4 days and then cleaned it out and it looked like a brand new tank ( never thought it would work but holy crap ) as for the pin holes . I tried JB welding them and they seem to last about 3 days before they start leaking again , Any ideas for that ? maybe Brazing or soldering ? possibly welding a patch over them ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Those starters sound like they are grinding even when new.....I agree on the new battery....with low voltage on those models they do all kind of weird things.....Whatever you do do NOT crank the battery charger to full tilt....(Automotive starting setting)....I guarantee you will fry something...For your fuel tank the best you can do is to get some fuel tank liner...I believe it is called Kreem...Not really sure on the name...But it will coat the inside of the tank ...permantly seal the leaks...and stop the rust to the point where you can use the tank....Or...item # 221293594545 on eBay is an aftermarket plastic tank for 124.00.......Also you need to check your carb and make sure there isn't any rust in it.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts