Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ive been trying to set my float height having read all the posts 16mm parallel to body or the parting line parallel etc i get that, the problem im havin is actually determining when tab is just kissing the needle cos the whole thing moves up and down with the floats.is there a known measurement as to where the floats should be when you cant blow air through the fuel line i would find this easier cheers paul

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's not going to take more than a few psi to push that needle off the seat if your checking it by blowing air into the fuel inlet... Hold the carb at an angle so that the needle can drop out of the seat than tip it slowly until you just see the float tab touch the tip of the needle. At that point watch it very closely as you keep tipping it until the needle stops moving & you start to see the spring pin depress, that's when your at the spot where you can measure float height. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's not going to take more than a few psi to push that needle off the seat if your checking it by blowing air into the fuel inlet... Hold the carb at an angle so that the needle can drop out of the seat than tip it slowly until you just see the float tab touch the tip of the needle. At that point watch it very closely as you keep tipping it until the needle stops moving & you start to see the spring pin depress, that's when your at the spot where you can measure float height. Hope this helps.
+1 . Also, be careful not to put any negative pressure on the tab/float assembly, like Scrappy stated it doesn't take much pressure to move the tab.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill have another go its just im struggling to see when it is just starting to push the sprung needle it i read one post where it says slowly tilt carb till float comes to a stop thanks paul

·
Registered
140 Posts
The floats are heavy enough to completely depress the spring in the needle so if you tip the carb until the floats stop moving that's too far & the float level will be low if it gets set in that position.

·
Registered
12,966 Posts
hi ive been trying to set my float height having read all the posts 16mm parallel to body or the parting line parallel etc i get that, the problem im havin is actually determining when tab is just kissing the needle cos the whole thing moves up and down with the floats.is there a known measurement as to where the floats should be when you cant blow air through the fuel line i would find this easier cheers paul
ill have another go its just im struggling to see when it is just starting to push the sprung needle it i read one post where it says slowly tilt carb till float comes to a stop thanks paul
Using new fuel line to draw/blow air until it stops is one way some use.

It's really not that difficult, just tilt the carb over and set your float height when the float tab 'kisses' the top of the float valve tip....NO need to have it depress, or measure to 16MM.

I set 4-6 New carbs per week, exactly as I described above.

Carlos

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well pretty sure i got it it seems on my carb that once the valve seats/stops moving down as im tipping carb the tab is virtually touching the sprung needle.if i pull the locating pin out for the and hang the valve on the tab the valve tip is virtually touching the tab!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts