Honda TRX250R Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1986 250R
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
After a short battle and frustration with the ball joint spinning trying to tighten the nylocks, I put some weight on the joints and they finally stopped spinning and got them tight. Tie rods were loosely fitted as well and got the stem and controls on.
Also got some 10mm allen head bolts and castle nuts and was able to get the lower shock mounts finally tight.
Tire Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

Tire Crankset Wheel Bicycle tire Motorcycle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
717 Posts
Looking good!

I had a similar issue with my ball joints spinning with the nylocks. I ended up using a clamp to apply pressure to hold them still.

I haven’t mounted my shocks yet, but I’ll have the same issue as you - no clearance for a socket.

·
Registered
1986 250R
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yeah the lower shock mounts are a real pain. I went with a 10 mm allen head bolt, 4 inches in length and a lock washer and castle nut for the back. The castle isn't really ideal, but I can at least hold it and tighten it with a slotted head, the clearance for a socket is a pain. Still tinkering around with the proper bolt setup.

·
Registered
1986 250R
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Just a small update, got the new resi on and finished polishing up the rear master cylinder, cleaned the original hose and new clamps.
Didn’t see many options for new “cleaner” looking hose so I’ll stick with the original for now.
The last 2 pics shows the absolute lunacy going on with pricing, I just purchased that resi in Oct for 17 bucks, now it’s at $100.
Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Electric blue Font

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

Font Gadget Eyewear Personal protective equipment Helmet

Toilet Font Screenshot Output device Electronic device

·
Registered
1986 250R
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Got the rear pedal and cylinder on, as well as the brake line. Finished up with the cdi and coil going on, lot of small things, just can’t get enough time to work on it.
Crankset Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Bicycle tire

Bicycle tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Also, for some reason I can’t get the new or old foot peg bolts to thread into the frame, I’m assuming some powder got in there from the frame and I will have to re tap them. Does anyone know the size for the tap, the bolts are 14 I believe. So I’m assuming…
The carb with the lines on it was the one that was installed originally, but I found a much larger one in the parts box that I never managed to look into until now, anyone know the sizes?
Bicycle part Gas Machine Helmet Metal

Hand Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Font

36 vs 38?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Looking good! I love the white frame with the red and blue. I also know the feeling about not getting the time to work on it.

The foot peg bolts should be 10x1.25.

Based on the part numbers, the top carb is actually a PWK 35mm air striker and the bottom one is a PJ 38mm.

·
Registered
1986 250R
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks, just taking a lot more time than i had hoped but I’m lucky if I can get some wrench time once a week for a few hours.

Is that PWK an odd size? And what would be the reason you think to go from the 38 to the 35?

Still learning the technical side of things

·
Registered
717 Posts
Is that PWK an odd size? And what would be the reason you think to go from the 38 to the 35?

Still learning the technical side of things
I don’t know about it being an ‘odd’ size, but it’s certainly less common than the 38 PWK A/S and probably the 36 PWK A/S as well. The PWKs are great carbs, though. You’ll see them used much more frequently than the PJs. I cannot elaborate on the improvements from the PWKs to the PJs - I’m also learning the technical side of things.

What do you all have done to your engine?

I see you have a stock cylinder. If it’s relatively mild from a porting perspective, then the 35 PWK will likely be the better option, especially when paired with your CT midrange pipe for MX riding like you mentioned.

·
Registered
1986 250R
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Vehicle

Got the exhaust all buttoned up, axle nut on, I didn’t go with an anti fade, I just couldn’t justify the price for what it is, so I went with a posi lock by dura blue. Hubs went on and calipers, have to still set the toe in/out still. Lots of little things still to do, carb and brake lines as well and tank should be the last big things.
I get so little time to work on the project, just getting it on wheels and off the stand was a big thing for me.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1986 250R
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Few more steps of progress. Brake lines went on, but still tweaking. Elka shock guards and wmd pegs bolted up. Sanded, primed and painted the grill for the hood. Need to file down a little powder on the frame to fit the Ccp stabilizer, get the tank mounted after that and should get all fresh fluids in a fired up within a week I hope.
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle fork

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design

Blue Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1986 250R
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Got a lot done but not complete yet. Still need to add the RTC shrouds, I’m painting the brackets atm, rad lines need to be hooked up and some other small things, fluids and such. Ballistic skid and swingarm skid have to go on as well
I’ll have some more pics when she’s done, it was too dark for pics last night.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

41 - 60 of 70 Posts