Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stepped up from a 200X about a year ago and I'm eyeballing some Skat Trak paddles for my 250R. There's an aftermarket head and pipe, and I'd say close to 40hp sounds about right. Just bought 13-40 gears for it, since the 13-37's it came with seemed a little tall for my taste. I ride the Oregon dunes, mostly play riding, but like to find challenging little hill climbs too. Never any drag racing or high speed riding so I'm not worried too much about over paddling it, other than keeping the front end down or making it hard to slide.

I'm thinking some wide, 21/22" tall tires with 7-8 paddles to keep it from digging in to easily. Choosing between Haulers, Gliders, or Edges. Any input on which of those would fit best? And number of paddles?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I play ride and run 10 (20-10-10) paddle haulers. Turns good and hooks up. For a standard sleeve motor, I would run an 8 paddle.

Best regards
-Jason

·
Registered
416 Posts
I run 20-10-10 hauler 8 paddles, good straight line & also slide good with a little effort. A steering stabilizer will loosen up the rear end as well so that way you can get a tire with more forward bite & still be able to slide it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Another good option is a set of Paddle Brats that are cut a set of cut 6's or 9's or possibly a set of staggered cuts. Oregon motorsports 2000 has the best deal I have found on them, they're just out in Oregon City.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ohtsu 501's 20" tall work awesome. Thats all I use anymore. Ya their knobbys. Trust me on this one. Everybody thinks they need paddles for the sand. The advantages from the 501's far out weigh the disadvantages.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree, especially with a trike. I run same tires in our sand pit as I do on mx track. I can take off under full power and it will wheelie in any gear no problem. With paddles it wants to lift way to easy and not corner as well. My 310 trike with holeshots outran a yz250 with rear paddle on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ohtsu 501's 20" tall work awesome. Thats all I use anymore. Ya their knobbys. Trust me on this one. Everybody thinks they need paddles for the sand. The advantages from the 501's far out weigh the disadvantages.
Knobs won't work here in the northwest with all the steep hills and tree shots we have. Here you really do need paddles to get out of the holes because a lot of them have no run at them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Knobs won't work here in the northwest with all the steep hills and tree shots we have. Here you really do need paddles to get out of the holes because a lot of them have no run at them.
No run needed with 501's. Dead start at the bottom is no problem at all. Anywhere anytime any bat channel.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Maybe in glamis but that's not like being on the Oregon coast like where he said he's going to be riding.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe in glamis but that's not like being on the Oregon coast like where he said he's going to be riding.
I know where hes riding. Ya been there done that. Its even easier at Winchester, coos bay where hes going. The sand is mostly wet there and traction is way better than Glamis or Buttercup Or Gordens Wells. Just tossing out some veteran knowledge for the guy. That $$$ spent on sand tires and wheels can go for race gas or beer or food. I love smokin the guys with their roost tossin paddles with my no roost knobbies. Another fact...paddles slow down your trike...now thats a point to ponder...lol.

·
Registered
898 Posts
i stand behind Tom 100% in his claims ... but i also remember the tree shots in the northwest,, a exceptional rider might get away with knobbies,, yes,, but if your not on the top of your game i see bad things ,,,

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've ridden glamis & oregon sand is a lot different. I always ran nobbies on my 350x & they work great for that but not good enough for tree shots. On my R there's no traction with nobbies when the pipe comes on so tree shots would pretty much be out of the question. I'm also a veteran dune rider of 30 years for what it's worth. Let me know if you guys come up here from Cali, I'll pick the tree shot at any one of the Oregon coast dune areas you want to meet at & give you $50 to climb out with 501's on a 250r TRX or ATC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been riding 250r's (atc and trx, still have one atc and 3 trx) on Oregon Dunes my entire life (yeah I'm younger than the 250r) but these bikes are what I learned on and Winchester bay is where I learned. I won't argue veteran status with anyone because everyone knows more than everyone else when it comes to preference, but here's my two cents.
Ohstu 501's will get you around, but they'll also build your biceps, because you'll be lifting that back end up more than you planned.
The best advice I've received is the same I'll give, and that's to ride different types. I've tried different types of haulers, skate II's, side winder, sand gecko's (worst pieces of garbage out there) knobbies, sand stars etc. They're all very different, and preference will vary from rider to rider, even day to day.

Do try knobs though, they are a lot of fun and work just fine for leisure rides, but if you are looking for premium performance and you ride anything like my group and I which is competitive style riding I recommend paddles.

Also a huge consideration are your front tires. Nothing wrong with knobs up front either but the main factor is size. The best luck I've had is a 22x8x10 up front. They look like balloons, but they give you a lot of traction and won't fatigue as much as a smaller tires.

Let me know next time you're headed over and maybe we can get some paddles set up for you to try!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts