Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I purchased a 1993 CR 500R back in February. The bike itself is in great condition is rate it a 8 out of 10. It had 1 rebuild on it I found out from Carlos's measurements and it came with a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer. It was my every intention of having the motor rebuilt prior to even buying a CR500. So I sent the motor to BDT for a complete bottom up rebuild with ALL OEM parts, every bearing, every seal every gasket plus BDT's pro port and polish, straight race gas high compression, 41mm pwk Boyesen rad valve, FMF Fatty for now (wurks pipe in the future) brand new OEM clutch, springs, Hinson clutch basket, brand new old stock kick lever and Boyesen Racing clutch and ignition covers. EVERYTHING powder coated black! Some pics of the final stages of the build. What kind of HP and TQ numbers do you think for those in the know? Never dealt with 500's before but everyone is telling me I have a death wish! :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sweet!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Nothing against the stock chassis, but if a motor ever deserved the AF upgrade, THAT is it. Have you ever considered it? You can pick up a CRF roller rather cheap and it's not too expensive to modify it for the motor.

·
Super Moderator
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a work of art a 500 in a light 250 crf aluminum frame. However I'm not a motocross rider, my big ass won't see air on my quads or dirtbike, I just fly through the woods and trails! I'm all about the steelie frame, particularly the 1993-1997's the geometry and the rake were spot on, I understand Honda had perfected the CR500 these years.. Once I get the motor back I'm having the forks and rear shock rebuilt, new rear tire, chain and sprockets and that's it I'm done! It will be more than I can probably handle as it is!!!! 8)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Your right lots of people do the CRF swap and hate it. I rode a few older crf swaps including a service Honda and was not impressed.

The steely frame is actually very good, in turning, and the radiator's are tucked in way more. The forks and shock really need work on the older units, even on the later 98 and newer suspention they need some love.

The 02 to 07 cr250r is actually a better swap than most of the 05-2012 crf's. Most seem to like the new 13-16 crf frames though.

Not sure about a death wish motor build. Maybe once you start cutting out the exhaust bridge and running a dynoport pipe, then you should think about upping your life insurance

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
That's a work of art a 500 in a light 250 crf aluminum frame. However I'm not a motocross rider, my big ass won't see air on my quads or dirtbike, I just fly through the woods and trails! I'm all about the steelie frame, particularly the 1993-1997's the geometry and the rake were spot on, I understand Honda had perfected the CR500 these years.. Once I get the motor back I'm having the forks and rear shock rebuilt, new rear tire, chain and sprockets and that's it I'm done! It will be more than I can probably handle as it is!!!! 8)
I understand Mike. If you were to check out more videos on groutaone's channel (the guy who built the CR500AF in that video), you'd see that he mostly tears up the field behind his house and rarely jumps at all. But I get your point. If you enjoy the natural steel frame build, that's awesome. I can't wait to see the rest of this come together!

·
Super Moderator
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The short rod '85 is the one to have! '84 was wicked fast too but air cooled you had to be in the throttle all the time to keep moving air to cool the bike..

·
Registered
691 Posts
That's a great looking engine, Pulse injection would really wake her up :wink wink:

·
Super Moderator
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep us posted on your build progress and direction.. BTW you rode a 1985 CR500 at 14 years old- that's balls did anything even feel fast after that?? LOL

·
Registered
515 Posts
This motor is the coolest 2 stroke motor that I have ever seen! I was fortunate enough to visit BDT a few times & witness the evolution of this masterpiece - YOU ARE A LUCKY MAN TO OWN THIS IMPRESSIVE MACHINE!

·
Super Moderator
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you dham!!!! I know that im not even close to expecting exactly what I'm getting back, this kind of power with that kind of power to weight ratio, this will be unstoppable and take shot puts for balls to ride it!

And this is what the nectar of the gods is for her, straight 110, hardcore drinker she'll be! As is my banshee and my ESR stroker all high compression! I'll spend more on race gas than fuel to warm my house lol!!!!

The one and only way to do it on gas (unless your on alcohol)..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts