• Pro Circuit

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Want a better silencer than my FMF silencer, butall my research ends up very confusing and very split

·
Registered
210 Posts
Which FMF silencer are you using? I have a turbine core 2 and a power core 2 and they both have a great sound. Not ping ping ping, but brraaaaaaapp! Try repacking your current silencer and see if you like it.
Loren

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’m also running a turbine core 2 with LRD pipe. Sounds good, totally different after repacked. Banshee with power cores also sounds good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m also running a turbine core 2 with LRD pipe. Sounds good, totally different after repacked. Banshee with power cores also sounds good.
I repacked them about a month ago, and havent done very hard riding since, ive been trying to get a really good feel before i start riding hard, i want something close to what my uncle has, granted he has a trx5 and selvy silencer setup but, just something close

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and im not sire what there called, sorry, but this pic might help

My uncles is really nice, and i love the way that his sounds

·
Registered
210 Posts
The fmf fatty is a pingy pipe. That could be a turbine core or a power core. If it has a spark arrestor its the turbine core 2. It will say on it if its usfs approved
Loren

·
Registered
316 Posts
My buddy has a fmf silencer the power core. It sounds good once repacked but is horrible once it wears out. My brother has a pro circuit silencer and exhaust and it sounds deep, we both like it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fmf fatty is a pingy pipe. That could be a turbine core or a power core. If it has a spark arrestor its the turbine core 2. It will say on it if its usfs approved
Loren
Okay, so its a turbincore 2, would a silencer like selvys or the fatboy get rid of the ping?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have had 4 different silencers attached to my fmf fatty and it still pings. One was a cascade, on was a turbine core 2, one was a power core 2, and one I made. The ping was worse with the cascade, but the others were all equal. Sitting on the machine you hear a different sound than if you were behind the machine. The cpi pipe I have now is horrendously loud and obnoxious! It doesn't exactly ping. It's more of a knock.
Have someone go for a rip on your R so you can hear the silencer instead of the pipe.
Loren

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
I Want a better silencer than my FMF silencer, butall my research ends up very confusing and very split
I repacked them about a month ago, and havent done very hard riding since, ive been trying to get a really good feel before i start riding hard, i want something close to what my uncle has, granted he has a trx5 and selvy silencer setup but, just something close
Okay, so its a turbincore 2, would a silencer like selvys or the fatboy get rid of the ping?
Most of the "ping" does not come from the Muffler, it comes from the Pipe. (90% of the time, the better pipes tend to resonate more, aka Ping loader....however; If you want to deaden the sound away from a "pingy" level, you have a few options through the Muffler:

Repack your current muffler, however; re-pack it very loose, not snug or tight as you normally would, make sure the perforated core is fully clean, all holes unplugged...this helps a bit to lower the "pin".
Go to a larger Muffler, meaning more internal surface area; and again pack Loose per above.
Insulate the Pipe; wrap it with fiberglass or plain insulation help with High Temperature Tape. Yes; very ugly looking, however; most effective way to eliminate the Ping noise and lower Db's.

Carlos

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had 4 different silencers attached to my fmf fatty and it still pings. One was a cascade, on was a turbine core 2, one was a power core 2, and one I made. The ping was worse with the cascade, but the others were all equal. Sitting on the machine you hear a different sound than if you were behind the machine. The cpi pipe I have now is horrendously loud and obnoxious! It doesn't exactly ping. It's more of a knock.
Have someone go for a rip on your R so you can hear the silencer instead of the pipe.
Loren
Most of the "ping" does not come from the Muffler, it comes from the Pipe. (0% of the time, the better pipes tend to resonate more, aka Ping loader....however; If you want to deaden the sound away from a "pingy" level, you have a few options through the Muffler:

Repack your current muffler, however; re-pack it very loose, not snug or tight as you normally would, make sure the perforated core is fully clean, all holes unplugged...this helps a bit to lower the "pin".
Go to a larger Muffler, meaning more internal surface area; and again pack Loose per above.
Insulate the Pipe; wrap it with fiberglass or plain insulation help with High Temperature Tape. Yes; very ugly looking, however; most effective way to eleiminate the Ping noise and lower Db's.

Carlos
Well dang carlos, you really know pretty much about everything about the R's lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your riding environment & local requirements also play a role in silencer selection. A spark arrestor may be needed or db level met. Years ago I ran a first gen Fat Boy & PT hi-rev in the Oregon dunes & even with fresh packing it was well over 100 db. It was loud! Now I run a Q silencer & trx5 & even that hits 95 db. My wife's R has an FMF gold series Don Emler H-14 pipe & an old turbine core & it sounds really good, has a bit of ping to it. Never had that one tested but its really close to my R as far as db.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your riding environment & local requirements also play a role in silencer selection. A spark arrestor may be needed or db level met. Years ago I ran a first gen Fat Boy & PT hi-rev in the Oregon dunes & even with fresh packing it was well over 100 db. It was loud! Now I run a Q silencer & trx5 & even that hits 95 db. My wife's R has an FMF gold series Don Emler H-14 pipe & an old turbine core & it sounds really good, has a bit of ping to it. Never had that one tested but its really close to my R as far as db.
I see, well i do alot of trail riding in alot of sand and loose dirt, i want mine to be loud lol, i dont know what db my uncles hits, but i want mine to sound like that without spending a ton of money, his sounds really loud and theres no ping, again, hes running a trx5 and a selvy silencer, i love the way his sounds, im hoping this month and a half of not riding and getting my bike rebuilt is impairing my memory

·
Registered
83 Posts
How does the big bore silencer sound? The 350G looks like a nasty top end pipe. I’ve always liked the look of there cans. Now if they had the seem of head pipe up front would be better. My old LRD is hard to seal and harder to get apart.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love the ping and ting sounds of a properly built and tuned 2-stroke!
Why not just get what your uncle has for a pipe and can? Or maybe get a 4-stroker...Braaappppp..
I had a full 3-plug Raptor 660(686) a few years back. Stage 3 HC, HV ported 3 plug head. So on.. and a full yoshimura exhaust. That was flipping loud.. like loud in a really good way.. LMAO.
But I still prefer a old school 2-stroke!! Ping and all....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts