Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ESR Big Bore Jetting Database.....

so i would really like for ppl to post there setups and jetting specs just to make it easier for ppl. i would like to see ppl post why they went with a certain needle, over another, maybe explain what they tried and tested.

Motor: ESR 310
Stroke: 3mil
Port: ESR TRX9.5
Exhaust: FMF Fatty
Reeds: VForce3
Intake: ESR Airbox Eliminator
Plug: BR9ES
Gap: .28
Carb: A/S 38mm
Pilot: 48
Needle: CGJ
Groove: 3rd
Main: 178

i tried a 175mj and the plug was looking lean, it had color but not safe. tried a 180mj and there wasnt much difference in power other then 6th was sluggish and it smoked pretty heavy at idle. i tried the 4th clip position and dropped the main and also went up but it just hated the clip being richer. using the needle based on ESR recommendation. open for change

Stroke: 3mil
Port: ESR TRX9.5
Exhaust: TRX5B
Needle: CGJ
Main: 188

Drastic change in the mj for this pipe. i cant believe how much the pipe uncorked the machine. im not sure if i should go up on the clip too and drop the main some? will it lean out in mid and burn up the machine?? havent much riding time on it at this jetting spec...let me know.

· Banned
589 Posts
Motor: Pro-X 330
Stroke: 4mil
Port: MX
Exhaust: Duncan Eliminator
Intake: Custom Airbox Eliminator
Carb: 40.5 PWK
Pilot: 52
Needle: DGH
Main: 172

Quite a bit leaner on the main than yours, sometimes the size of the motor does not matter as much as you would think.

Edit: I see now you want just 310's, and not any setup, sry

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah it dont matter im going to change the title of this....
do u suppose the "d" needle make the main "richer" therefor u have a smaller mj?

· Banned
589 Posts
http://www.carbparts.com/keihin/needles_tuning/pj_jet.jpg

The first letter is taper, second is length, and third is diameter. Larger first letter means richer, and larger third letter means leaner. So your needle is slightly leaner both from taper and diameter. I still don't think it would make a huge difference in main jet size, but I could be wrong. I have heard some cylinders that flow better due to porting actually require a smaller main because they have a better "sucking" action.

· Registered
569 Posts
Motor: ESR 310 pv
Stroke: stock
Port: ESR TRX9
Exhaust: Sparks MX
Intake: factory airbox with no lid and Uni filter
Plug: BR9EIX
Main: 172

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that makes sense, but wouldnt it also suck more air?? i see lots of ppl with the dgh needle, why is that?

· Registered
484 Posts
Ran like a champ in my bike in MO and IN and MI, drag racing and trail riding. In the dunes I ran same set up but bumped to a 52 pilot and a 178 main.

Stroke: stock rod
Port: ESR TRX7 (mid port)
Exhaust: inframe drag pipe
Plug: BR8ES
Gap: .20
Carb: 39PWK
Pilot: 50
Main: 170

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
starting to see a real definate pattern of the dgh and pilot and main sizes....this is excatly the info i am looking for....keep it coming guys.....thanks a bunch

· Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is extremely old,and seems that nobody uses forums anymore....any chance for revival? Maybe someone out there will get this,as i cannot get in touch with esr.my email to esr:
What happened? The first email i sent was responded to promptly,.now i cannot get a hold of you.I needed to rebuild my bike once again as i have an issue,that hytech atv ( original builder) assembled. Ive been dealing with this issue for 10+ years off and on.the bike keeps seizing and i cannot figure out why. This is the 3rd attempt at rebuilding it now.I had inland atv and import cycles try to contact you also,nobody was successful.

Here is my setup:
86 atc 250r esr310 trx9 port
28mm air stryker carb: 7 slide ,dgj needle 3rd clip,190 main.pilot unsure (idles fine)
Esr airbox eliminator
Vforce 3 reeds
Esr exhaust and silencer
Dropped a tooth on front sprocket.
I ride glamis,dumont,high desert, low desert mainly.

The problem appears to be a top end lean condition,and or an overheating issue. Im not entirely sure. I don't know what temperatures my engine is seeing, because ive tried to get a guage to no avail.the problem occurs in 6th gear throttle somewhere past half ,maybe.looking online i see my some common things with other people's setups.none of them spec'd what slide, but most everyone was using a dgh needle and jetting in the 170's.is this my issue, should I use their setups as a starting point? Bike runs good,but maybe theres something im missing? Maybe i dont hear/feel/notice it leaning out?.its hard for me to remember exactly the details of each incident as this has been drawn out over so many years, i just get frustrated and park it for awhile.

· Registered
2 Posts
I know this thread is extremely old,and seems that nobody uses forums anymore....any chance for revival? Maybe someone out there will get this,as i cannot get in touch with esr.my email to esr: What happened? The first email i sent was responded to promptly,.now i cannot get a hold of you.I needed to rebuild my bike once again as i have an issue,that hytech atv ( original builder) assembled. Ive been dealing with this issue for 10+ years off and on.the bike keeps seizing and i cannot figure out why. This is the 3rd attempt at rebuilding it now.I had inland atv and import cycles try to contact you also,nobody was successful. Here is my setup: 86 atc 250r esr310 trx9 port 28mm air stryker carb: 7 slide ,dgj needle 3rd clip,190 main.pilot unsure (idles fine) Esr airbox eliminator Vforce 3 reeds Esr exhaust and silencer Dropped a tooth on front sprocket. I ride glamis,dumont,high desert, low desert mainly. The problem appears to be a top end lean condition,and or an overheating issue. Im not entirely sure. I don't know what temperatures my engine is seeing, because ive tried to get a guage to no avail.the problem occurs in 6th gear throttle somewhere past half ,maybe.looking online i see my some common things with other people's setups.none of them spec'd what slide, but most everyone was using a dgh needle and jetting in the 170's.is this my issue, should I use their setups as a starting point? Bike runs good,but maybe theres something im missing? Maybe i dont hear/feel/notice it leaning out?.its hard for me to remember exactly the details of each incident as this has been drawn out over so many years, i just get frustrated and park it for awhile.
I would get a 38 mm air stryker and start there maybe the 28mm is to small just about everyone runs the 38 or bigger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts