Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What causes the engine to cut out when braking hard? Also doesn’t feel like it pulls hard at all, so far not impressed with the power of my 250r. Engine has been rebuilt and bored to a 270 and has had 3 heat cycles and this was the first cruise. After stalling out it started back up. I have also replaced the entire ignition system aside from the flywheel. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am assuming you are pulling in the clutch lever and cutting throttle when braking.
Stall under braking could be because of the clutch not fully disengaging. check play and cable. You can dig further by pulling the clutch case and assembly. There are few wear parts in there that can cause the clutch to stick.

Could also be from improper jetting. Cutting throttle at high rpm with load could cause the motor to die if the pilot jet is not right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming you are pulling in the clutch lever and cutting throttle when braking.
Stall under braking could be because of the clutch not fully disengaging. check play and cable. You can dig further by pulling the clutch case and assembly. There are few wear parts in there that can cause the clutch to stick.

Could also be from improper jetting. Cutting throttle at high rpm with load could cause the motor to die if the pilot jet is not right.
Yes pulling the clutch and cutting the throttle. I had the clutch apart last week when I replaced the clutch side main seal and drive collar and all looked good. I wonder if it could be jetting. Spark plug was wet with oil and so was inside the spark arrestor. I have 38A/S with a 172 main and 50 pilot, #6 slide, and DGJ needle on 4th clip at sea level. Think I’m going to put in a DGH needle on 4th clip and see if that helps before changing jets. Does my current jet set sound too rich for a 270cc with fmf pipe, v force reeds, and stock porting?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts