Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so while rebuilding my clutch i found a hole in my case. i just bought this quad not too long ago but im assuming if i cracked the case basically all bearings and seals would need to be replaced.. so what im wondering is how much it would cost minus the new case to rebuild the engine including all bearings, seals, piston, and other major equipment minus the clutch and waterpump. i found a cr500r engine for $600 and was wondering if that would be the way to go, although i am extremely nervous to do that from what i have read. any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
nick

·
Registered
288 Posts
For all new oem bearings and gaskets i spent about 200$. For oem gaskets add another 100$. Then i would get an engine bolt kit.. Thats like 60$ then ya ALWAYS run into bullshit when rebuilding so add another 200$ to be safe!! Then just to make yourself feel hapy when your done rebuilding add another 500$!! To much is better than not enough. Lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
You can send it out to one of the top four guys. They will all be around 1000-1500 and then you don't have to worrie about anything. Will cost you a few 100 more but it will be like new. I would also have the gears teated if you are going to replace all the case bearings, sucks when you lose a gear and it destroys all the new stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you! i will definitely look into that. the 500r engine just makes me too nervous because i dont want anything happening to my frame. i wish i had a little more money to do it right now but funds are tight. im trying to sell a 400ex which will really help me out.

·
Premium Member
13,283 Posts
so while rebuilding my clutch i found a hole in my case. i just bought this quad not too long ago but im assuming if i cracked the case basically all bearings and seals would need to be replaced.. so what im wondering is how much it would cost minus the new case to rebuild the engine including all bearings, seals, piston, and other major equipment minus the clutch and waterpump. i found a cr500r engine for $600 and was wondering if that would be the way to go, although i am extremely nervous to do that from what i have read. any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
nick
I wouldn't put the CR500R engine in the TRX frame unless you made changes to the frame.

Post pics of the case damage; if funds are tight, consider reparing the cases, and doing only the minimal to get you back running. Then in the future as funds are available, do a complete rebuild...you ahve options.

Carlos

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i figured out my case wasnt damaged. i thought the hole under the exhaust wasnt supposed to be there. so i am really happy about that. im thinking all the bearings and seals and possibly/probably the piston, too. for now im going to split the case and do everything in there. then ill worry about the top end because thats much easier

·
Premium Member
13,283 Posts
well i figured out my case wasnt damaged. i thought the hole under the exhaust wasnt supposed to be there. so i am really happy about that. im thinking all the bearings and seals and possibly/probably the piston, too. for now im going to split the case and do everything in there. then ill worry about the top end because thats much easier
Split the cases, have a good look & inspection. Rebuilding the bottom end is as critical if not more than any other engine area. If you do a 100% rebuild, you will have an engine for another 25 years...:)

Carlos

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
The prices are going to vary significantly from shop to shop, even your region of the country will determine price on the rebuild and of course the parts you select will play a major role in determining the price of a rebuild...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The prices are going to vary significantly from shop to shop, even your region of the country will determine price on the rebuild and of course the parts you select will play a major role in determining the price of a rebuild...
I plan on doing the work myself so I would just need a price on parts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.