Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious because i have had trouble with the R running lean and wondering if its time for a bore? I cleaned the carb multi times over the winter to spring and it would take till it was about 130 temp to run right. Last time was spring before i got in a wreck on it and it sat till i could fix it. I'm cleanin the carb again from setting but I'm wondering if its ready for a bore. I'm thinking the pulse is probably weak and not pulling enought gas into the motor right? It had a new piston but this last time i put new rings on it the last time I road it.

Also it has 2 more bore sizes left in the jug. What is the normally way of repairing the cylinder now a days because i don't want to do nikasil. Are there still places that resleave cylinders now a days or is everything nikasil?

I got it out the other day and I couldn't even get out of first without it falling on its face so i'm cleaning the carb now but I have a feeling it needs a new bore. Once it got up to a high enough temp it would seal and come alive.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Have you checked compression? Leak down test? Reeds in good condition? Verified that the ignition system is within spec? Check all that before you get the cylinder bored. If it in fact needs bored to the next size consider giving Pete at Hybrid Engineering a call. He does fantastic work and is a straight shooter. No BS!
PM me and I will give you his number.
Loren

·
Premium Member
13,280 Posts
I'm just curious because i have had trouble with the R running lean and wondering if its time for a bore? I cleaned the carb multi times over the winter to spring and it would take till it was about 130 temp to run right. Last time was spring before i got in a wreck on it and it sat till i could fix it. I'm cleanin the carb again from setting but I'm wondering if its ready for a bore. I'm thinking the pulse is probably weak and not pulling enought gas into the motor right? It had a new piston but this last time i put new rings on it the last time I road it.

Also it has 2 more bore sizes left in the jug. What is the normally way of repairing the cylinder now a days because i don't want to do nikasil. Are there still places that resleave cylinders now a days or is everything nikasil?

I got it out the other day and I couldn't even get out of first without it falling on its face so i'm cleaning the carb now but I have a feeling it needs a new bore. Once it got up to a high enough temp it would seal and come alive.
Stock compression should be 165-175 PSI
Double check the carb; clean out all the passges, remove the tower and air-carb clean the tiny holes. Clean all fuel passages. Make sure Spring and plastic keeper rib are properly seated on top of carb body.

I assume you are at 68.50MM if you say you have two bores left...69MM & 69.50MM. Note you really have 4 bores left, two more than the 69MM & 69.50MM....that is if you have BDT Bore & Hone your OEM Cylinder.

BDT is the ONLY builder/supplier to have special Piston Kits to give you FOUR overbores after 68.50MM....not anyone else....:)

Carlos

·
Registered
453 Posts
That's odd as I had Hybrid Engineering bore an oem cylinder to take a 66.25 piston.

·
Premium Member
13,280 Posts
Nothing "odd", really...?

Read what I posted;

"I assume you are at 68.50MM if you say you have two bores left...69MM & 69.50MM. Note you really have 4 bores left, two more than the 69MM & 69.50MM....that is if you have BDT Bore & Hone your OEM Cylinder"

.25MM bore sizes are available at 66.25MM, not available at 66.75MM (only old stock), not available at 67.25MM or 67.75MM unless it's 'old stock', once that's gone, it's gone.

Now once in the 68.50MM Plus range, NO .25MM are available through 69.50MM, except at BDT Motorsports. Why; BDT purchased special custom-made pistons in .25MM increments for the larger bore OEM sizes, exclusive to BDT ONLY. Therefore; ONLY available at BDT Motorsports.

"Odd', no....just reality.

Carlos

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you carlos! I have been busy this week with my boy and today going to go out and put the clean carb on and see how she runs. After I get her warmed up I'll do a compression check too. I will get back to you later today bud about what i find out. Oh yeah i ment to tell you I am at 68.50mm

·
Premium Member
13,280 Posts
Thank you carlos! I have been busy this week with my boy and today going to go out and put the clean carb on and see how she runs. After I get her warmed up I'll do a compression check too. I will get back to you later today bud about what i find out. Oh yeah i ment to tell you I am at 68.50mm
Most welcom...:)

Carlos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts