Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, love this site I'm currently building two 88's and I have a question about cylinder part numbers. Honda lists two numbers for 88 cylinders, 12100-hb9-770 and 12101-hb9-770. One is more expensive than the other? Could someone tell me the difference ? Thanks guys, Kevin

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
Kevin:

Cylinder 'A' and cylinder 'B'...the 12101 is 'B' and the 12100 is 'A'...without getting into a full discussion as to why Honda had matched cylinders ('A' & 'B') to matched piston kits ('A' & 'B'), let me just say it does not matter if you use cylinder 'A' or 'B'. For the most part you are limited to aftermarket piston kits, ProX, Wossner or Wiseco and none of these piston kits are segregated by very specific sizing like Honda did with OEM pistons matched to specific bore sized cylinders 'A' or 'B'...

Carlos

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Carlos, so is it possible that honda still has these cylinders, I've seen them listed on websites and it says 3-5 business days for shipping, or will it be a part number that is still active and when you try to order it's discontinued?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Honda piston kits are still available through any Honda dealership around country!
But you may want to consider buying a Wossner kit from BDT Motorsports it is a good upgrade from OEM and has piston skirt coating unlike wiseco pistons!!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is it just a bore / clearance issue between the two, or any other differences? I'd assume A cyl. matches A piston?
I bought a complete new 88 engine kit from service honda way back, and got a, A cylinder and a B piston with it. I didnt really pay much attention to it at the time because I wanted the bottom end for a BB kit.

Heres a 25 year old virgin:
Auto part

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
Is it just a bore / clearance issue between the two, or any other differences? I'd assume A cyl. matches A piston?
I bought a complete new 88 engine kit from service honda way back, and got a, A cylinder and a B piston with it. I didnt really pay much attention to it at the time because I wanted the bottom end for a BB kit.

Heres a 25 year old virgin:
View attachment 23552
Nice purchase, I still feel the OEM cylinders are some of the best made to date.

It is a clearance issue only between 'A' and 'B', and yes, the 'A' cylinder is matched to the 'A' piston kits, as well as cylinder 'B' to piston kit 'B'...however; as in your case, they work even when mixed 'A' to 'B'...

Carlos

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, actually I would consider it.
One thing that scares the hell out of me is, after I die, my wife selling my stuff for "WHAT I TOLD HER" I paid for it. LOL. :eek:
PM me if you want. I have everything NEW in the OEM Honda package for it. Cylinder, head, piston, rings, piston pin, top rod bearing, head studs, exhaust flange. I'll probably say no, but man it would make a sweet 88 resto top end.
I'm having second thoughts already. LOL. Oh heck you're probably right:lol:
Bill

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come on Carlos your no help!!!! Lol!! I don't blame bill I wouldn't sell it either!!! So what way do I go to build as close to stock motors as I can? I have twin boys on raptor 125's and want to give them the two 88 r's I'm building now in a few years, with one mixed in for me too! I hope the wife doesn't see this!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
If you don't have a good used OEM cylinder, pick one up from a member here or look in eBay. We also have stock OEM cylinders if you have trouble locating one....

Building a stock engine is fairly easy, and a good reliable build that should last many years....

Carlos

1 - 15 of 15 Posts