Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after doing some stuff I look at my plugs. They looked to be in optimal condition. I'm still waiting on my head if my new head does not fix this issue what could it be? Im thinking maybe Reeds or jetting but I don't understand how jetting would be an issue if my plug reading is fine. The quad starts every 1 or 2 kicks on a cold start compression looks great.

Here's a Vid with the sound it makes.

-Thanks

Forgot to give setup My Bad!

Bore: 265 with basic port
Pipe: FMF pipe don't know what it's called it is the one with Don Elmer's signature stamped on it.
Carb: 38mm Keihin
Reeds: Stock
Air filter/Intake system: Running a 2 Stage UNI with a custom fabbed intake feeding into a filter box with no lid.
Head: Stock has bad pitting ordered a new one
Rest Is stock to my knowledge
Running at around 295 ft / 90m above sea level and average 60F degrees.
Current jets are unknown don't know what is in it.

·
Registered
Honda TRX 250R 87 / Suzuki LT 500R 87´
36 Posts
So after doing some stuff I look at my plugs. They looked to be in optimal condition. I'm still waiting on my head if my new head does not fix this issue what could it be? Im thinking maybe Reeds or jetting but I don't understand how jetting would be an issue if my plug reading is fine. The quad starts every 1 or 2 kicks on a cold start compression looks great.

Here's a Vid with the sound it makes.

-Thanks

I think giving a list of ur set-up would make things easier for the ones who know a thing or two about the trx ... all stock, pipes, jug size, cool head, air filter etc...

·
Registered
89 Posts
how warmed up was your engine in this video? Mine will sound like that if it's still cold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock steel reeds? Or are '88-89 stock reeds fiber? What year is your engine?
I have fixed it, turns out my main jet was wayyyy to rich my plug never showed it because I could never hit WOT, turned it down to a 152 and its great still has an issue at the tippy top but I traced it to a gap and cracks in my stock reeds motor was an 87 I ordered some ESR reeds for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have fixed it, turns out my main jet was wayyyy to rich my plug never showed it because I could never hit WOT, turned it down to a 152 and its great still has an issue at the tippy top but I traced it to a gap and cracks in my stock reeds motor was an 87 I ordered some ESR reeds for it.
good to know .. thx for the update

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good thing you got those steel reeds out of there since they were cracked. Those things will eat your engine when they break unlike fiber reeds that just get spit out the exhaust port.

·
Registered
263 Posts
u mean the stock plastic reeds ?!?
OEM 250R reed petals are steel. I still have the original steel set that I pulled from my 86 shortly after I got it in 88. Also picked up an 86 trx engine in 2017 that still had the stock steel reeds in it. Not to common to find them anymore.

·
Registered
36 Posts
OEM 250R reed petals are steel. I still have the original steel set that I pulled from my 86 shortly after I got it in 88. Also picked up an 86 trx engine in 2017 that still had the stock steel reeds in it. Not to common to find them anymore.
i pulled them off recently when taking apart the motor. so I should ditch´ém and get some v force ones ?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I’ve heard the v force 3 is the way to go. I think many others would agree. I like mine anyways. They also have no screws to hold the pedals in. My two cents.

·
Registered
520 Posts
2nd. vf3. got the rip in them.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts