Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My project bike with unknown engine history is making a noise. I Hope and pray that it is simply a Counter Balancer bearing but this thread has me concerned:
http://www.trx250r.net/forum/engine...ngine-noise-video-listen-feedback-please.html

I plan on getting one from Carlos and sending mine in as a core...if that does not fix it, I will likely send it the engine to him to rebuild completely!

Here is the video, please tell me what you think:

·
Premium Member
13,281 Posts
CB, Clutch basket, Piston slap, Rod & Rod needle bearings, really hard to tell. You can check easily...remove CB & check bearing, check clutch basket (does it move or rock excessively), inspect Rod for wear and tilt...

Carlos

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine was wrapping pretty good last year. Turned out to be piston slap. A fresh top end took care of it.

Neil had me listen to a few different spots on the motor with a long screwdriver. When I put it against the cylinder, the knock sounded super intense compared to anywhere else. May not be a full proof way of diagnosing, but it gave me somewhere to start.

Neil did my cylinder and BDT supplied all the parts and got me back in business.

Here is a video of mine. I have to get a new video up to compare:

·
Registered
941 Posts
My experience with bad bearings. A cb bearing will sound kind of like a whine of a turbo. Rod bearing sounds like metal on metal squeaking. Yours sounds like piston slap. You must have an 86 piston in there. The 86 pistons have a lot more piston slap noise than the 87-89 pistons due to the short rod and 1/2 moon cut out on the intake side of the piston. Then when you put many hours on the 86 piston and the tolerances are not as tight you get a compounded piston noise like you have.

·
Premium Member
13,281 Posts
Agree with everything posted...I will add only that on this particualr engine, we have more than one issue going on, multiple noises tells the story. That is what makes it difficult to pin point a single problem...

Carlos

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sigh...I was hoping to get some runs out of this engine before I overhauled it. There are plently of things I need to do to it anyhow.

Carlos, I sent an e-mail to you via BDT website about the cost to rebuild and port head...basically everything. With that, what would you recommend? I do not want to run the engine and damage anything. I suppose I need to take a cover off and inspect bits and pieces. Unfortunately I broke my clavicle and had a plate and bolts put in. So I have the time, but money is now lacking a bit. I need to sell some stuff!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sigh...I was hoping to get some runs out of this engine before I overhauled it. There are plently of things I need to do to it anyhow.

Carlos, I sent an e-mail to you via BDT website about the cost to rebuild and port head...basically everything. With that, what would you recommend? I do not want to run the engine and damage anything. I suppose I need to take a cover off and inspect bits and pieces. Unfortunately I broke my clavicle and had a plate and bolts put in. So I have the time, but money is now lacking a bit. I need to sell some stuff!
I have the same sound. Did you ever find out what the problem was? Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts