Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently doing my first complete jetting. I picked up a 36PJ to go on an a 300 woods port OEM jug, RAD valve, LRD Pipe, open lid airbox. The motor was done years ago but put to the side for other hobbies so I'm not sure if it was built for race gas or not. Out of caution I'm using race fuel to do the jetting. I currently use Dumondetech Synthetic @ around 40:1. I'm located in central Maryland.

Right now it my pulls everything seems to feel great with no bog off of a rev and wide open pulls are smooth throughout the powerband. I haven't ridden it at varying speeds for any length of time to get a nice long plug reading, but I'm hoping to lug it a little around the yard this weekend.

Current Settings:
CEL Needle 3rd from top
48 pilot
AS 2.5
Main 170

My only issue is that I can't seem to get an idle with the carb without effecting the actual pull. It seems I can get an idle after turning the knob pretty far, but then after having an idle my gear pulls seem to get some hesitation. I know these PJ's are tricky, but is there a trick to the idle? Like do I have to start with X amount of turns on the knob then try to find the right AS and pilot? Right now with no idle the bike revs nice and clean and comes back down quick. I plan on doing harescrambles, so I'd like to get some kind of idle if at all possible.

LED suggested a 55 with a CEJ needle from their past notes on a PJ, so I have those parts in transit. But it seems to run very clean at least doing straight pulls with the settings above minus the idle. Do my settings look way off for a 300 and would changing my needle have that much of a drastic effect to go from a clean rev with a 48 to a 55? I can say with my current needle a 50 w/ AS 1.5 definitely had a bog when revving.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
cel is a lean needle.if you cant get it to idle with a/s out 2 1/2 turns give or take a turn you need to lower the pilot not raise it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am able to get an idle but the knob has to be turned very far to obtain the idle. At that point I lose throttle response and receive a bog. The current 48 minus the idle is actually quite snappy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got a 350 pv cylinder. I run a 190 main jet out here in Vegas. Might sound big but it ran very well throughout. If not sure if need race gas or not just do a compression test. As long as the motor is tight. I run 118 octane minimum with my 265 lbs of compression. Yes it's a bitch to kick over ☠☠

1 - 4 of 4 Posts