Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back when I use to work at a Polaris dealership we use to store customers personal watercrafts, and before we would put them away for winter we would fog the engine with fogging oil. Basically run the engine and at low idle begin to spray fogging oil into the intake and when It bagan to bog kill the engine. This allows enough of the oil to coat the lower end ect. I want to fog my engine(probably should have done this 2 months ago) but I do not want to run the engine to do it. Im thinking just pull the plug (much easier to kick over) or at least keep switch off and pull some oil in that way. spray a little in the spark plug hole maybe and a little pulled in through the intake. carb off maybe??( gonna need to clean it before spring startup anyway)
0124141823.jpg
Just getting opinions on this. My barn does have some moisture issue in it since it does have dirt floor and some things tend to rust in there. I wish I could get it into my house. It would then sit in my living room or my man cave:lol:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've always fogged my engines for winter storage. never had a problem when spring times comes.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Nope. Not unless it was multiple years of storage. Not 4 months.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I fog everything and treat the fuel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have always fogged the jet skis, dirt bike,and quads. right or wrong, just some reassurance of internals looking good next time out. but never done it to the chainsaws ..... hmmmm......

·
Registered
872 Posts
I usually don't do my saws because I run them year round. But I do the quads I am not runnning,weed eater,brush cutter,leaf blower,etc.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna make a habbit of doing all my engines I think..Cant hurt and moisture is the enemy:mad:

·
Super Moderator
2,311 Posts
I have never fogged my engines in all the years I've owned quads and dirt bikes.. I just make sure fuel is fresh, and i turn the petcock off and idle the engine until the motor completely runs out of fuel...

·
Registered
280 Posts
On my 2t Dirtbikes I always just dumped a cap full of pre-mix in cylinder and crank it a few times. Just smokes some when you first start it next year.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't , never did , never had a problem. I guess it depends on how long it sits. But take this for a example, how about my snowblower, I or we only pull it out for 2-3 months out of the year. So it sits for 9-10 months out of the year. I really doubt there is anyone that fogs
Their snowblowers, maybe there is, but mine always starts and runs just fine. But that's my opinion.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
never have never will. had cars that have sat for years snowblowers ect a little spray in the cylinder before starting.

·
Registered
280 Posts
One thing you have to think about now is the amount of ethanol in the gas. You could park a car 20 years ago and it be ok but now the gas will ruin vehicles in a few years. I know a couple different guys that had new lawn mowers gum up over winter and quads in only a few months.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I fog my motors in the off season and dump 1 ounce of 2 stroke petroleum/mineral oil down the spark plug hole and slowly rotate the motor a few turns. This really helps keep the rust off the crankshaft and bearings. Rust is a terrible enemy to a crank in storage. Also don't use a synthetic oil for storage, it has some properties that attract moisture.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Used to fog snowmobile which sits 7-8 months of the year but do as above,pour a few ounces down each cylinder,pull it over a few times put plugs back in so when u start it next year u don't foul new plugs.IMO it is better to drain the carbs as this crappy fuel we now use will gum up in 4-5 months.I also put STA-BIL fuel stabilizer in fuel tank and run motor a minute or so before i drain carbs.If there is any left elsewhere in carbs after i drain it it is still protected.Some people will just start the machine 3-4 times through the duration of the storage period.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Never fog any of my stuff. Never had a problem. Lime big mike said I cut off gas and let it idel till it runs out and dies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts