Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I went from a 13 tooth stock front to a 14 tooth and kept the stock 39 tooth rear, do I need to buy a longer chain? Will the stock size 520/96 work?
Thx

·
Registered
161 Posts
There's enough adjustment in the carrier to run a 12, 13 or 14T front sprocket without changing the length of the chain.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I went to a 14 and my chain just barley wouldn’t make it. I had an extra so I slapped it on. This is on an 88 with RPM carrier and stock swinger.

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
I went to a 14 and my chain just barley wouldn’t make it. I had an extra so I slapped it on. This is on an 88 with RPM carrier and stock swinger.
Happens, as you and I know well...:)

If I went from a 13 tooth stock front to a 14 tooth and kept the stock 39 tooth rear, do I need to buy a longer chain? Will the stock size 520/96 work?
Thx
Front sprockets from 12-14 will adjust with the same chain, they won't 98% of the time. Going from a 13-14 might and might not depending how the current chain was cut, slack set-up and how worn your 39 is.

If going with new chain, go with a good Gold D.I.D. or equivalent, when cutting, layout carefully, keep all cut links as they can be used with additional master links and/or half links effectively on different sprocket combinations.

Chain slack should be 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" at center of chain; that is total up/down movement.

Carlos

·
Registered
161 Posts
Happens, as you and I know well...:)Front sprockets from 12-14 will adjust with the same chain, they won't 98% of the time.

Carlos
When I get a new DID chain & cut it to work with a 13T I have always been able to run a 12, 13 or 14T sprocket 100% of the time over the last 32 years. Stock length swinger, stock carrier & 39T rear. If you can't run the 12, 13 & 14T front sprocket with the same chain than your cutting your chains in the wrong spot. Seen this mistake made many times.

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
Not with a stock chain, and only with a 39 tooth rear, and not always. OEM stock chains are not cut to center of length, when running a used 39 rear sprocket you can get the proper slack with a 13 x 39, and a 12 x 39...not with a 14 x 39...

Now try running anything other than a 39 rear, like a 38 or 37 with 12, 13, or 14 fronts...not going to happen while maintain proper slack.

"Chain slack should be 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" at center of chain; that is total up/down movement"

Carlos

·
Registered
161 Posts
To clarify I have never run anything but steel 39T rear sprockets & weather there new or have some run time on them I've always been able to swap between the 3 counter sprockets mentioned. I have been able to do this with Sunstar (my personal favorites), JT & PBI sprockets along with Sunstar, DID, EK & Regina chain's over the years & have always maintained proper chain slack. In fact I check my chain slack when I'm riding almost every time I get off my R... Again, your setting your chains up improperly.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't often swap front sprocket sizes, but I recently changed from a 13 to a 14 and did not alter the chain at all. I utilized the Honda engineered chain tensioning system. I loosened the swingarm carrier pinch bolts and rotated the carrier. What do you know..... my chain was tightened to the proper specifications. Then I tightened the swingarm pinch bolts to the specified torque per the oem manual.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
i have to play with gearing alot depending on the track and engine combo.i have used 16 front and 33 rearsto 12-39.there are a few combos that will bee to tight or loose.i also have several different chains to swop with also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts