Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a backup CDI box. I saw a cdi listed, made by DB Electrical. It appears to be an American based company with good reviews. I am wondering if anybody has any knowledge about thier Cdi boxes. I know oem are the best but they are getting very hard to come by. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
454 Posts
bad. crap. no good.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
The issue with all aftermarket CDI's is kick back and poor performance vs OEM. Search here on .NET; dozens of threads & posts already have covered this topic to death.

Plenty of information already posted on CDI's. Bottom line; even a good used OEM CDI is better than any aftermarket CDI to date.

Carlos

·
Registered
365 Posts
50 bucks for the cdi and a 1 year warranty. I would take the gamble personally. If you really want to try it out make sure DB offers money back when/or if it fails.
Loren

·
Registered
454 Posts
$50. no stock. find 1. try n let us know.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The issue with all aftermarket CDI's is kick back and poor performance vs OEM. Search here on .NET; dozens of threads & posts already have covered this topic to death.

Plenty of information already posted on CDI's. Bottom line; even a good used OEM CDI is better than any aftermarket CDI to date.

Carlos
I hear that about the OEM's, but damn they are hard to come by. BDT stocking them yet?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
50 bucks for the cdi and a 1 year warranty. I would take the gamble personally. If you really want to try it out make sure DB offers money back when/or if it fails.
Loren
thats stupid advise.he might as well buy one of the $19 ones so when he throws it away he wont feel as bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cdi box works great. Several kick starts, no kick backs. Let's see how long this cdi box lasts. So far I would say at the very least a good back up box to bring on a trip to get you back home.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The cdi box works great. Several kick starts, no kick backs. Let's see how long this cdi box lasts. So far I would say at the very least a good back up box to bring on a trip to get you back home.
So you bought one? And it works! Very interesting!

·
Registered
454 Posts
were u buy. want 2 try 1.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, I only have about 4hrs of ride time on it, and about 20 kicks total, but have not had any problems. It is DB Electrical. I called them to order it. (800)753-2242. They offer one for the 86-87 and 88-89. They are an American based company out of Tennessee. My part however was assembled in Argentina. Let me know if you guys need anything else.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always feel nice and warm at night with a good OEM in the garage, but for one to throw in the truck on a trip I will take it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think it's a great idea to have a spare. I have a spare cdi for all my R's. Thanks for trying out a cdi that other people say won't work. I'm glad it did. Hopefully it will last long enough for you to get $50 worth of fun out of your R lol. Keep us posted!
Loren

Reactions: SandSlinger

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it's a great idea to have a spare. I have a spare cdi for all my R's. Thanks for trying out a cdi that other people say won't work. I'm glad it did. Hopefully it will last long enough for you to get $50 worth of fun out of your R lol. Keep us posted!
Loren
Gentlemen, I definitely will.

Now I have to find a decent carb...……..

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
just because it starts doesnt mean anything.also no kickback is nice but is also not the only issues with aftermarket cdis..another issue is not enough total timing so jetting never is right.you have to really lean it out to try to get it to run good at wot.thats not a good thing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
just because it starts doesnt mean anything.also no kickback is nice but is also not the only issues with aftermarket cdis..another issue is not enough total timing so jetting never is right.you have to really lean it out to try to get it to run good at wot.thats not a good thing.
Not only does it start, it also runs. If you read post #13 the op says he has 4 hours of ride time on it so far with no issues.

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
Then the CDI problem is solved....maybe NOT

The DB CDI components are made in China and assembled in "Industria Argentina", exact same CDI sold on eBay by other Chinese sellers. It is also the exact same CDI that Ricky Stator has been selling for over 7 years, also assembled in "Industria Argentina", available in a Red or Black box.

If you looking for "CDI to toss into your tool box", any of the Chinese, "Argentina" or Ricky Stator will work good, most of the times they kick back, performance is not up to the OEM CDI's, however; if it works for you, then for $35-$50; why not.

Carlos

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Then the CDI problem is solved....maybe NOT

The DB CDI components are made in China and assembled in "Industria Argentina", exact same CDI sold on eBay by other Chinese sellers. It is also the exact same CDI that Ricky Stator has been selling for over 7 years, also assembled in "Industria Argentina", available in a Red or Black box.

If you looking for "CDI to toss into your tool box", any of the Chinese, "Argentina" or Ricky Stator will work good, most of the times they kick back, performance is not up to the OEM CDI's, however; if it works for you, then for $35-$50; why not.

Carlos
I guess only time will tell. It may shit the bed this weekend. But like we all agreed, as a backup, why not.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts