Honda TRX250R Forums banner

Cylinder Polishing

5K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  acecarlos 
#1 ·
Whats up ladies! I have been debating on whether or not to have my cylinder polished. This is something I would not do myself. For those who have polished cylinders can you post some pictures? What is the upkeep and maintenance to keep it shiny? How much does it cost to have the cylinder polished?

#2 ·
From a truck polisher prospective, I’d say it must be sanded smooth then hit with multiple stages of high speed buffing with rouge. Once cut and shiny the up keep would be easy. Just hit with some hand polish and a micro fiber. That being said it would be tedious work to get all the nooks and crannies. I’ve seen pics posted on here of some one who does it but can’t remember name. They look bitchen polished out.

#3 ·
I've never had a polished cylinder but I can tell you with absolute certainty that having polished parts on your R is a lot of upkeep period. My R has a fair amount of chrome & polished aluminum & after spending the last 30 years maintaining it I'd never do that to another R but that's just me. I love the look of polished aluminum, just hate the work it takes to keep it that way... Last few top ends I cleaned up turned out pretty good by just glass beading them & than scrubbing the heck out of them with a stainless wire brush. Raw cylinders look good & there much easier to maintain. If you use a brass brush it gives the aluminum a slight gold tint just fyi.

#5 ·
If you’re not needing the bling of the polished look, but still want a clean looking cylinder, I’d highly recommend vapor blasting. I know... I keep pushing the vapor blasting, but I think it looks fantastic and it’s minimal maintenance.

Here’s an example of a cylinder that I recently had done.

Before:

After:

#6 ·
IMO don't Polish your cylinder Mike. While BDT provides a lot of Polished Cylinders & Engines for customers, I always try to talk folks out of Polishing the Cylinder. It simply makes the Cylinder & Engine run Hotter than the original ruff Casting. When Polishing you smooth out all the peaks & valley’s that help dissipate heat most effectively. You can ‘bead’ blast to provide a cleaner look and add/keep the original ruff surface.

BDT also recommends not to Powder Coat Cylinders & Heads…if you want color, stick to a light coat of spray paint only….

Carlos

#14 ·
Thanks sandslinger. I will start with This cylinder and use small tools never used before and see how it turns out. I think this will different and I’m excited to try. When I’m happy I’ll send it to someone and have it bored and sent home with a piston kit and cool head. Always nice to have a top end on hand. Be a nasty sleeper build.

Attachments

#17 ·
BDT can re-sleeve, other builders can also, however; IMO not worth the effort & cost, plus; you will ruin one of great attributes of Honda OEM cylinders…cast in, trapped sleeve.

Once you bore out the OEM sleeve, you will press in a sleeve, no longer trapped in the cast cylinder. One of the beauties of OEM cylinders is no sleeve creeping or movement, reason why they are extremely reliable vs pressed in sleeves.

Purchase another OEM cylinder with the original sleeve.

Carlos

#16 ·
I agree that rough cast cylinders shed more heat than powder coated or polished cylinders, do not let that be the deciding factor. I have seen polished cylinders run just as cool as a rough cast cylinder. If you have a poorly tuned or poorly built engine it will run hot regardless.
Don't get me wrong! I do not like to polish and will not polish anything on my R! My cylinder is rough cast and will stay that way lol.
Btw Idaho, very nice work.

Reactions: Big_Mike
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.