Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever see this?
Just got a used cylinder and it appears to have been repaired at the exhaust side of sleeve skirt. I can’t see any crack or damage on the outside just this spot on the inside.Looks like it was possibly brazed?
It’s at 68.5mm now and I’ve read sometimes this size or bigger in stock cylinder tends to break off the sleeve skirt and trash the cases.
Otherwise cylinder is really nice and has BDT Mx porting too.
I may consider having it sleeved.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
Compromised in my opinion. If it fails it would be pretty catastrophic. There isn't a bunch of side loading when the piston is down, but vibration, cyclical loading and thermal stresses are another matter.

I personally wouldn't run that cylinder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.
Just confirmed what I already knew. It’s not worth risking trashing my cases. I was fired up, this is a nice BDT ported 88 cylinder. O well...The search for a 87-89 cylinder continues!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.
Just confirmed what I already knew. It’s not worth risking trashing my cases. I was fired up, this is a nice BDT ported 88 cylinder. O well...The search for a 87-89 cylinder continues!
I have a used cylinder off my 1988 TRX 250R sitting on the shelf, what exactly are you looking for?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I actually just bought a 87 stock bore cylinder yesterday. Hopefully it’s as good as it looks in pictures. I’m building a motor for my 86 Trx. Going with a long rod with spacer plate, 86 piston and the later cylinder with 3 intake ports for lots of bottom end!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
What your referring to as 3 intake ports are actually just intake bridges that reinforce the inlet side of the cylinder & to stabilize the piston.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see…that makes sense. Guess you can’t trust everything you read online LOL.
Well if Honda added the bridges it must be for a good reason (reliability) so hopefully I made a good choice seeking out a later model cylinder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts