Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finally getting ready to rebuild my motor and just have a few questions. Im planning on replacing the crank bearings, Ill need new seals to also right? Anything else that should be replaced as long as its apart?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Seals are a must. An easy way to put those bearings in is to freeze the bearings then install.

·
Registered
190 Posts
correct........ along with using a lil heat on the case and they'll juss drop right in. be sure to apply lube to those new seals.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody know the part numbers for the 87-89 crank and the bearings and seals? I cant get the service honda site to work.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you're going through the trouble to split the cases and disassemble the whole motor, just replace all the bearings and seals in the entire bottom end. It would suck to tear it down for crank bearings and seals, just to lose a mainshaft or countershaft bearing 3 months later. JMHO...

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you're going through the trouble to split the cases and disassemble the whole motor, just replace all the bearings and seals in the entire bottom end. It would suck to tear it down for crank bearings and seals, just to lose a mainshaft or countershaft bearing 3 months later. JMHO...
I would agree. I know that is easy for us to say because its not are money. If you do it now you wouldnt have to do it for a few years, or more in some cases!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many bearings would there be to replace if I did all of them? And do you know about how much that would cost?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I bought all the bearings and seals including the waterpump stuff from ESR(OEM parts) and the bill was over 200.00.

·
Registered
435 Posts
How many bearings would there be to replace if I did all of them? And do you know about how much that would cost?
You can nail the full bottom end bearing and seal set on eBay, right from these guys:

http://stores.ebay.com/ATV-Dirtbike-Bearings-and-Seals

It's every single bearing and seal to do the entire bottom end, including a new counterbalancer bearing (hard to find, and not a separate part # from Honda).
Price is usually $100 for the whole deal. If you can't find it for the TRX in that store, then search out the '85/'86 ATC parts - same stuff. 12 bearings and 7 seals...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you used that whole kit they sell? Hows the quality? Or is it worth it to spend the extra 100 bucks on oem parts?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Along with the crank, bearings, and seals, make sure you carefully inspect all of the tranny parts. Check the gears and forks mainly. Second gear usually is the worst.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Have you used that whole kit they sell? Hows the quality? Or is it worth it to spend the extra 100 bucks on oem parts?
Yeah, I've done two complete motors with them so far - great quality.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dude area51 opens this tuesday..you need to hurry :D

Haha yah I dont think Ill make it for tuesday. Tryin to get my buddy to let me ride his ltr. I should be ready in maybe 3 weeks, depending on how long it takes to get my cylinder done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts