Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I remember when i was a kid being around some of the older guys that had 250Rs and they were putting CR250 motors on a couple of them. With changing times i have no way to get ahold of those guys anymore and talk to them about it. Although i have heard that one of the guys still has his in the barn,....But my question is how much different is the CR250 motor. I dont wanna do any fab work to my oem frame but how close are the mounts and what about an exhaust? If this was something some older MX guys done then im sure someone on this site has done it and can chime in.??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and also i understand vibration could be an issue. This is gonna be on a trail quad so maybe thats something i want to take into consideration

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
The CR engines going to be a bit more high rpm than a TRX engine, so it will be something you would need to adjust yourself to as to how it performs out on the trails.
Yes vibrations can be an issue, because those engines not counter balanced like the TRX engine & because of the atv frame, how it is built, it will receive the vibration from the engine a great deal more that a two wheeled bike frame.

You'll at least need an older model swingarm, because the rear on the CR engine, will need to use the swingarm bolt to mount it into the frame & then just a mater of lining everthing else up.
You could angle the engine in the frame, so most of the TRX pipes would fit, but the header part of the pipe will need changing, because a CR cylinder the pipe incerts into the cylinder casting where as on the TRX cylinder it has a exhaust flange that sticks out for the pipe to mount onto.
Neil

·
Premium Member
13,280 Posts
Hey guys. I remember when i was a kid being around some of the older guys that had 250Rs and they were putting CR250 motors on a couple of them. With changing times i have no way to get ahold of those guys anymore and talk to them about it. Although i have heard that one of the guys still has his in the barn,....But my question is how much different is the CR250 motor. I dont wanna do any fab work to my oem frame but how close are the mounts and what about an exhaust? If this was something some older MX guys done then im sure someone on this site has done it and can chime in.??
Yup, back in the day, just about everything you can imagine was tried...CR250R engines in a TRX250R & ATC250R all the way into CR500R in both. Just because it was tried or done does not mean it was a good idea. I would hate to admitt to all the "bad" ideas I tried out, that resulted in a waste of time and $$$'s. If you want a 250R (TRX or ATC) stick with the 250R engine that came with these two models. If you want something a bit different or more HP; go Big Bore on the 250R...much better results and a lot less time & money IMO.

Carlos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts