Honda TRX250R Forums banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
I don’t think many companies if any would have replied to my questions so quickly or offer to send parts without knowing if my issue is 100% a bad part so I don’t think anyone can say BDT has bad customer service. I haven’t found any company that offers so many R parts like he does so having access to them and one on one help is great for the R community. I posted how I have it wired up so if it was wrong I’m assuming someone would catch it and I’d be up and running.
bet carlos takes care of u. 100%

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I thought everything but the cdi was oem to be honest until I got it and I had aftermarket stator and cdi on my bike when I bought it and chased issues of crappy running for a while until finding that out and once I swapped to used oem parts it ran great and knew never to use aftermarket electronics. At this point I don’t care if it’s oem or not I’ll be happy with it when it’s working. I didn’t want to buy a used ignition off eBay because you don’t know what you’re getting and thought this new kit would be great so I saved for a while to buy it and nothing was wrong with my current ignition so I really want it to work out. I’m sure Carlos will help me get it going and can’t wait to see how it runs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
How is the install going?have you gotten the ignition dialed in yet?
I received the replacement stator/flywheel Monday but haven't had a chance to install the kit again. I put my OEM ignition back on so I could ride it last weekend and I also picked up a used 99 ignition on Tuesday fairly cheap so I have that to try and see if either run any different. I'll put the BDT kit back on Saturday morning and hopefully it fires up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I just got the ignition back on with the new stator/flywheel and I have spark on the first try. Just have to take the stator back off and trim the rubber grommet and clean up the wiring and I’ll try firing it up. I just pushed it over with my hand not even hard and spark was bright blue with all the shop lights on. It’s too early to text Carlos but I’ll let him know a little later.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I repacked the silencer and figured I’d start it and had the stator cover off and after about 5mins shut it off and smelled something weird from the stator side. I grabbed the flywheel and it was way hotter than it ever was with the oem setup. Is it because it’s smaller and thinner than the big oem piece or is something wrong? I also found out my crank bearings need replacing since I can ever so slightly move the crank up/down but only in one spot of the rotation. It’s tight everywhere else

·
Registered
599 Posts
sound like your motor bad. u have issues with motor. fix n run it.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

·
Registered
387 Posts
Stators are weird, I'm way more likely to suspect them than a CDI or even a coil once I've determined there's nothing wrong with the wiring or switch.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I put the 99 cr ignition in today and it fired right up and only rode for about 5-10mins and pulled the cover to check bolts and the flywheel was cool as a cucumber. Not sure why the 500 flywheel was almost scalding hot after the same amount of riding time. I’ve got ignition removal and install time down to about 20mins so I’m a pro now lol

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sounds like both Oem ignitions function as they should,the bdt “CR ignition “ not so much.What are your plans for the non functioning replica CR ignition?Will bdt refund you?Id stick with the 99 Cr ,they’re snappy as hell.

·
Registered
599 Posts
ignorant rant action. op said function. flywheel gets hot. has light coils. 99 does not. ive had my bdt cr250 ign for 3 years. no issues. drop the bs.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The lighted ignition works well and starts just as easy as the 99 stuff. I’ll have to use both some more to decide which one fits my riding better between std cr flywheel and the weighted flywheel. Lights is a plus too especially since it doesn’t require a battery.

·
Registered
505 Posts
ignorant rant action. op said function. flywheel gets hot. has light coils. 99 does not. ive had my bdt cr250 ign for 3 years. no issues. drop the bs.

bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

Not an ignorant rant at all,the only thing ignorant as well as illiterate here is you..Stop swinging off carlos nuts,it’s pretty pathetic..

·
Registered
507 Posts
The lighted ignition works well and starts just as easy as the 99 stuff. I’ll have to use both some more to decide which one fits my riding better between std cr flywheel and the weighted flywheel. Lights is a plus too especially since it doesn’t require a battery.
Did you ever get this all straightened out? What ignition did you end using?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I have the 99 setup in it since it was used and now I have a known working backup ignition that's new just in case. I also have 2 complete oem R stator/flywheel/cdi in great shape should I ever need them. I couldn't tell any difference in power delivery between the CR stuff but maybe someone with more experience would notice any slight differences. They both totally change how it runs compared to the stock stuff. I think the BDT ignition started with just a little less kicking force than the 99 but both fire on first kick if you put it @ TDC. I just bought an 87 engine that's supposedly fresh with 66.75 bore, port work, head cut, oem crank that just needs main seals so I might put that in and do my first rebuild on my existing engine.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm honestly not surprised to hear that you are not using the bdt ignition, especially if it gets so hot like you said yours did. I wouldn't trust using it either after having that experience.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It might have gotten hot just from being new and will cool off once it has some time on it. Sorta like how a lot of times when I've gotten a new cell phone and they'll be hot and cold for the first hour or two you use them. Dumbphone, smartphone doesn't matter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I used it some more and it might have been just from being new since after a little more use it didn’t get as hot and was just as hot as the CR stuff. It worked just fine and was easy to install plus it has lights.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts