Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’ve read it all, googled it all, searched. I have found good info and spoken to the best. I’m so done with my TRX ign. I have new harness and motor. Sometimes it’s starts, other times sounds like kill switch is on. Sometimes it runs good, next won’t start. So I tap on cdi works...and so on. Impossible to break in if this continues. With no cdi’s(oem) to be found. I’m convinced on the CR. 01s are around 7 bills other are cheaper. It’s 2020 what are you running and plugs?? I know this has been covered but it’s been a while and prices and availability change. Like my situation, ready to ride but no cdi. Ebay Facebook? I might just drop the doe buy a bdt set up and take ignition problems out of the equation. Any thoughts are very appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
sold all 01 2 years ago. upped 2 cr250 04/07. bdt hibrid plug n play. best up grade. 4 250r.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
If/when someone way smarter then me answers this it would be nice to have the newer ignitions compared to the OEM ignitions pros and cons.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you wanted a new 07 cr250 ignition the complete set up can be had for around $900 from partzilla.com cdi,coil,harness,stator and flywheel

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea plus adapter plate. I will be ordering complete setup Tuesday from bdt. Sucks there is no reliable lighting option for the Cr. It seems like a lot of money but in the grand scheme of things it needs to run. Bummer I just installed new STB harness.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is there a reason your not giving a used Oem cdi a try before dropping a grand and giving up your lights?theres several used Oem cdi on eBay and FB

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the chances of getting a working and reliable unit are slim. And how will It work ina year or six months. Also I’m having trouble finding one. Thanks guys

·
Registered
162 Posts
So before you pulled the engine for a rebuild the ignition never functioned correctly & was giving you the same intermittent problems your experiencing now?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have had zero trouble finding oem trx parts from Ebay and friends on trx250r.org. If going to the 04/07 I encourage you to shop around. If it takes you 2 hours to save $100 isn't that worth it? I have never met anyone that would burn a $50 bill let alone two $50 bills. Have you?
Last year I bought two 89 cdi's for $100 each from trx250r.org members. Both of them plugged in and worked. Matter of fact they are both still working. If and when the oem trx parts fail I will be switching to the hpi from LED so my boys can still have lights.
Loren

·
Registered
288 Posts
Or drop $1000 on the next big thing.
There are currently 6 used oem cdi's on Ebay for around $150

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea it had trouble before rebuild. I’m shopping around. Wish one my buddy’s had an R or even some parts for that matter. Just gets annoying when I wanna ride and it don’t start. Anyways thanks for all input.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
If you wanted a new 07 cr250 ignition the complete set up can be had for around $900 from partzilla.com cdi,coil,harness,stator and flywheel
Yes you can, however; you don't want just 2007, you want a combination of parts from 2004 to 07 to make the 250R run it's best. Plus; you still need the Billet Coil Mount, Billet Adapter Plate, Extra Ground, Hardware, as well as the Secondary Harness...add it all up, way above the price you stated. And why support an internet seller that does not stock, support nor now anything about a 250R...!

Yea it had trouble before rebuild. I’m shopping around. Wish one my buddy’s had an R or even some parts for that matter. Just gets annoying when I wanna ride and it don’t start. Anyways thanks for all input.
I can present other options as we discussed for less $$$'s, however; not sure the reliability at this point. One is the Service Honda IGN, they claim the stator & starting issues have been resolved for the 250R. These units offer a Light Coil and you can order the special rectifier needed as well. They sell on eBay or directly for $899 (I believe) with rectifier. I have one BDT is testing, and another one coming...however; don't know if they are as good as they say at this time. These are Chinese made...:-(

The other option is OEM CDI's made at the same Japanese factory as the original OEM CDI's...BDT will be selling these New for $175-$200, and we have 200 units that left japan and expected to go through US-LAX Customs by late June. The date can slip due to Covis-19, so not sure on when availability will be. If you can wait 6-8 weeks, than this is an option.

Carlos

·
Registered
384 Posts
good. run ricky stator.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,058 Posts

For those that are curious here is what the BDT CR250R Hybrid 04-07 Complete IGN Kit Looks Like; with Billet Coil Mount, Billet Adapter Plate, Aux Ground, and all New Honda OEM Componets.

Carlos

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know people that have had good luck with ricky stator products. I have a friend getting ready to use a Rick Stator CR250 stator with lights on his puma R.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can’t wait to get my hands on that system, install, and shred it up. Not worry about electronic BS for long time. Also have the customer support to back it up and parts still made by Honda. Expensive yes, reliable better be. 😉. I’ll run lights off of battery if needed. Thanks for the hook up Carlos. And thanks everyone for input.
🍻🍻

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
I know people that have had good luck with ricky stator products. I have a friend getting ready to use a Rick Stator CR250 stator with lights on his puma R.
Before running a Ricky Stator CR250R Lighted Stator; call Ricky Stator, speak to the Owner Mike...they have a bad habit of frying the Coils during extended rides (within 3-8 hours total run time with Lights ON), and when the Lighting Coils fail, the IGN Coils go with them...been their and done that 5-6 years ago.

With that said; absolutely nothing wrong with Ricky Stator version of OEM Stators; the issue is only with the CR250R Lighted Stators.

Can’t wait to get my hands on that system, install, and shred it up. Not worry about electronic BS for long time. Also have the customer support to back it up and parts still made by Honda. Expensive yes, reliable better be. 😉. I’ll run lights off of battery if needed. Thanks for the hook up Carlos. And thanks everyone for input.
🍻🍻
These are by Far the very Best IGN's, yes all the OEM New Parts are Pricey, however; the Quality & Performance is 'Simply the Best'...typical Honda QC. Wait till you open the Stator and Flywheel, note the CNC machined Flywheel, not stamped like all the <=2001's. Theyse Kits showcase Honda Quality (not Chinese Junk), and the very Best Performance for a 250R.

Carlos

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Installed it and rode it!! It’s so nice to have a one kick machine and not be scared to shut it off. I went with the BDT kit as shown above. Paired with that engine Carlos put together, with the boxes of parts I sent him. I must say this thing rips. Still doing break in so I can’t hog down just yet😉. I have hunch my raptor will be parked most of this season. She needs some work. The 330r is fresh as a mofo and ready for business. 💪
I’m waiting for one more thing and that’s my plastic. Cmon Taylor it’s been two weeks I need it. I’m only running a seat at the moment. I’ll rip it for now. Here some pics of the swap.
D7B7FADE-C09C-48F8-B3F1-322EBE848834.jpeg 4B8B75C8-78AC-48FD-A522-5462CC171EFC.jpeg 92F7C4AD-2821-45E1-A53A-E853E5A77F77.jpeg C3FBBC2B-3225-4CD2-864E-005B2C577128.jpeg 82BF5DD8-24DE-41A4-9DAB-3C4528CDD4FB.jpeg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts