Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I need some help. I bought a 250R as by dream quad after 20 years of putting it off. I recently dug into the clutch and I think it may have an 89 clutch with the flat bearing that fits over the rod with a flange. I think I screwed up and put a flat washer between the bearing and the pressure plate.

Regardless, when I put it all back together the clutch would not grab. It seems to shift but will not engage. It engaged fine before and I filed down the basket because it was pretty grooved up.

Can anyone tell me if that flat bearing should sit against the pressure plate and could my extra washer cause the clutch to not catch?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, it looks as if the flat needle bearing should sit flush against the pressure plate. Would that explain why it won't engage now when put into gear?

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
Thank you, it looks as if the flat needle bearing should sit flush against the pressure plate. Would that explain why it won't engage now when put into gear?
The needle bearing should lay against the steel hardened washer...if it is against the aluminum, the needles will dig into the aluminum and destroy the pressure plate.

Sounds like the non-engagement could be another problem, shift forks not properly in place or bent, shift shaft dissamgaged, transmission not assembled correctly, or clutch totally out of adjustment or worn.

Carlos

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Carlos. I'll take it back apart and make sure everything looks how it should. It is something I did because it worked before I took it apart. Appreciate the ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the washer that protects the presure plate a loose piece that you put on top of the flat needle bearing as you assemble or is it press fit into the pressure plate? when I look at the exploded parts diagram above it doesn't show a flat washer and my local shop couldnt find the washer on their parts view. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,970 Posts
The flat washer is a "loose piece"...if you have the 89 upgrade kit (it sounds like you do since you have a needle clutch bearing), it comes with the needed washer, and special pressure plate, rod and needle bearing & 'hat'...

BDT stocks the 89 upgrade kit as well as all the individual pieces, extra washers included.

Carlos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts