Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading and I was wondering if you guys had some insight. It was about using two cr125 steels and putting the rest of the steels from the 250r.again I do not know I read this and was curious of why. It was explaining about the honda 250r steels are .10 and cr steel .20.do people use this to make a tighter pull on the clutch? Thanks in advance for your insights.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have only done the Neil clutch mod, which is a 400ex steel mid pack and CR500 springs with drain plug washers under them. I used Tusk frictions and steels. That clutch is still holding strong after 7 years of use.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only done the Neil clutch mod, which is a 400ex steel mid pack and CR500 springs with drain plug washers under them. I used Tusk frictions and steels. That clutch is still holding strong after 7 years of use.
ohh wow thanks for the insight. Never heard of that. I like learning so when I read something I like to ask.you guys have all the experience hahah.just getting back to everything since I retired.thanks again

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah no problem. I suppose you could google neil neil clutch mod to find posts on it. Neil Pritchard was the guy that came up with it. He recently passed away so we have lost a true 250R guru.
Loren

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah no problem. I suppose you could google neil neil clutch mod to find posts on it. Neil Pritchard was the guy that came up with it. He recently passed away so we have lost a true 250R guru.
Loren
sorry to hear that and I will check it out

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
12,774 Posts
I was reading and I was wondering if you guys had some insight. It was about using two cr125 steels and putting the rest of the steels from the 250r.again I do not know I read this and was curious of why. It was explaining about the honda 250r steels are .10 and cr steel .20.do people use this to make a tighter pull on the clutch? Thanks in advance for your insights.

Neil was a great guy, and very good friend; saw & hung out with him every year for the past 5 that BDT made the Trip to PineLake Raceway, Ashtabula, OH for the Nationals...will be missed for sure. The "Neil Clutch Mod" is the old Honda Team Trick done back in the Mid to Late 80's....works well on Higher HP & TrQ engines, however; clutch pull is noticeably stiffer vs OEM.

Again, someone has posted Wrong Information.:

To be clear; the CR125R Fibers or Steels can not be used with the standard OEM Basket or Standard Billet Basket, the CR Fibers/Plates have 2 more Drive tabs vs the TRX/ATC250R Plates...therefore you Need a special Basket. Special Baskets were made years ago for using CR125R & CRF125 Plates/Fibers, Both for 7 & 8 Plate designs...They are Custom Billet with Billet Center Hubs and Billet Pressure Plate...very Pricey 100% Billet Setups. Quite Good for BB High HP & TrQ Race Engines. Both Billet versions are still in Stock at BDT Motorsports.

Carlos

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohhh ok I understand thanks for explaining I just see stuff and ask hahah I enjoy learning to add to the tool box.thanks for explaining and taking time to answer

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not trying to argue with you Carlos, but you mention that Neil's clutch mod was an old trick team honda used back in the 80's. If I'm not mistaken that can't be a true fact. The clutch mod requires a 400ex clutch steel and I know for certain that the 400ex didn't make its debut until 1999 which is a full decade after you say team honda came up with it......
And you accuse others of posting misinformation lol.....

·
Registered
12,774 Posts
Not trying to argue with you Carlos, but you mention that Neil's clutch mod was an old trick team honda used back in the 80's. If I'm not mistaken that can't be a true fact. The clutch mod requires a 400ex clutch steel and I know for certain that the 400ex didn't make its debut until 1999 which is a full decade after you say team honda came up with it......
And you accuse others of posting misinformation lol.....
No misinformation on my end, again not a full understanding on your end:

You need to go back an read what I posted; I never mentioned 400ex plates did I...? Only stated an "Old Honda Team Trick". Honda Teams had numerous clutch components (as well as just about every other part), that did not exist (yet or ever) for public consumption, that went for all the factory teams; Kawi, Yamaha, Susuki, ect... Thicker Varying Plates, Thicker Steel or Aluminum Plates, Varying Spring Lengths & Tension, Different Clutch Pressure Plate and Centers, Baskets, Washers, ect...the full range of Clutch components to increase or decrease Clutch engagement..

Honda Team used 1-2 Thicker Steel or Aluminum Plates + Regular Plates, Varying Springs, and Baskets & Centers to achieve the Clutch Feel & Performance for each individual Team Racer. Could very well be the 400ex thicker plates evolved from all this early clutch work by Honda, not certain or really know. What I do know is what I just posted, and what Neil confirmed over time.

Carlos

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sure....... I figured you would make something up to make yourself sound knowledgeable lol. Have a great day friend
Loren

·
Registered
12,774 Posts
Sure....... I figured you would make something up to make yourself sound knowledgeable lol. Have a great day friend
Loren
"Make something up"...I was their some of the time, plus the fact that Honda as well as other teams had special components; Clutch, Engines, Pipes, and just about everything else comes from direct accounts of Team Riders, not just me...."friend".

Carlos

·
Registered
286 Posts
cant stump the doc. lol

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
"Make something up"...I was their some of the time, plus the fact that Honda as well as other teams had special components; Clutch, Engines, Pipes, and just about everything else comes from direct accounts of Team Riders, not just me...."friend".

Carlos
Ace carlos this is exactly what you do all the time is you say something and some one corrects you politely and you say your right and the person that politely corrected you is a complete idiot wich is not the case.

·
Registered
12,774 Posts
Ace carlos this is exactly what you do all the time is you say something and some one corrects you politely and you say your right and the person that politely corrected you is a complete idiot wich is not the case.
You don't know what you are talking about, go back and re-read what I wrote. No one correct me, the information posted is an assumption only, not based on what really happened. I merely posted the real facts, and not based on any assumptions.

Carlos

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

Neil was a great guy, and very good friend; saw & hung out with him every year for the past 5 that BDT made the Trip to PineLake Raceway, Ashtabula, OH for the Nationals...will be missed for sure. The "Neil Clutch Mod" is the old Honda Team Trick done back in the Mid to Late 80's....works well on Higher HP & TrQ engines, however; clutch pull is noticeably stiffer vs OEM.

Again, someone has posted Wrong Information.:

To be clear; the CR125R Fibers or Steels can not be used with the standard OEM Basket or Standard Billet Basket, the CR Fibers/Plates have 2 more Drive tabs vs the TRX/ATC250R Plates...therefore you Need a special Basket. Special Baskets were made years ago for using CR125R & CRF125 Plates/Fibers, Both for 7 & 8 Plate designs...They are Custom Billet with Billet Center Hubs and Billet Pressure Plate...very Pricey 100% Billet Setups. Quite Good for BB High HP & TrQ Race Engines. Both Billet versions are still in Stock at BDT Motorsports.

Carlos

after reading this post up to your reply on # 9 at that point who was posting wrong information ? the op asked a question and no one posted wrong information. no point in swinging the dick around it was a question no a statement.

·
Registered
12,774 Posts
after reading this post up to your reply on # 9 at that point who was posting wrong information ? the op asked a question and no one posted wrong information. no point in swinging the dick around it was a question no a statement.
Now Douglas; you are typing like Matuus...incoherent sentences, when you start posting coherently again; I will have to accuse you of being me...LOL

Carlos

1 - 20 of 30 Posts