Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my engine back together, and while I was installing crank bearings I had some grit get into the transmission bearings. I took some oil and was able to get the debris out, but this obviously has me concerned. My friend has a large ultrasonic cleaner he has offered to let me use, but I am concerned about using it. Will this cause any damage to the bearings? Also how concerned should I be about getting debris in these bearings? I rinsed them out the best I could with oil. Is that all I should do or would the ultrasonic be a good idea? Sorry for the long post.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would rather see you clean them in a solvent tank and then blow them out with air. The ultra sonic cleaner is a fantastic tool, but it has water mixed with detergent. Water is not a great idea for bearings. Also if the detergent you use is too corrosive it can damage your cases. Aluminum does not hold up to caustic detergents. Good luck

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
I am trying to get my engine back together, and while I was installing crank bearings I had some grit get into the transmission bearings. I took some oil and was able to get the debris out, but this obviously has me concerned. My friend has a large ultrasonic cleaner he has offered to let me use, but I am concerned about using it. Will this cause any damage to the bearings? Also how concerned should I be about getting debris in these bearings? I rinsed them out the best I could with oil. Is that all I should do or would the ultrasonic be a good idea? Sorry for the long post.

Let me first state I don't believe in re-using Bearings, even if they have low hours of use. I suggest always to use New OEM Honda Bearings on all 250R engine Builds.

However; Absolutely NO issues cleaning bearings in Ultrasonic's, even in detergent soap/water if done correctly.

In avionics service FAA certified centers, they always clean instrument bearings in ultrasonic's cleaner with detergent based soap/water. Followed by a rinse in Alcohol, Blow Dry, NO air spinning, good lubricant and done.

Never spin dry bearings with compressed air. Always let the bearings soak in Solvent for 1-2 hours to dissolve/loosen dirt, wipe dry. Use dishwasher detergent & distilled water (if possible, or tap water) in Ultrasonic, set timer for 3-5 minutes....always rinse in Alcohol, Blow Dry, Lube, ect...

Carlos

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Let me first state I don't believe in re-using Bearings, even if they have low hours of use. I suggest always to use New OEM Honda Bearings on all 250R engine Builds.

However; Absolutely NO issues cleaning bearings in Ultrasonic's, even in detergent soap/water if done correctly.

In avionics service FAA certified centers, they always clean instrument bearings in ultrasonic's cleaner with detergent based soap/water. Followed by a rinse in Alcohol, Blow Dry, NO air spinning, good lubricant and done.

Never spin dry bearings with compressed air. Always let the bearings soak in Solvent for 1-2 hours to dissolve/loosen dirt, wipe dry. Use dishwasher detergent & distilled water (if possible, or tap water) in Ultrasonic, set timer for 3-5 minutes....always rinse in Alcohol, Blow Dry, Lube, ect...

Carlos
What about the cases? Is it ok to clean the cases and gears in it?

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
What about the cases? Is it ok to clean the cases and gears in it?

Yes, absolutely it is, at BDT Motorsports we employ 3 Large & 3 Medium sized Ultrasonic Cleaners to clean all cases and internal components, again; the same process as is used in FAA certified Aviation repair centers.

The same precautions apply to Aluminum as to bearings; use dish soap, diluted with distilled water, preferred...(or tap). Clean all heavy dirt & oil first with solvent(s), immerse in Ultrasonic's for 10 minutes, Wipe Down, Blow Dry....if you have an Oven; put the cases in the Oven at 100F-125F for 1 hour to displace all water & Humidity.

Try it on a scrap piece of aluminum or cover first to assure yourself how well it works, once you follow the instructions I posted, you will be a 100% believer.

Carlos

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow FAA certified repair centers.... If you ask a bearing manufacturer I wonder if they would advise you to clean a bearing in water? Then ask if they reccomend that you put their bearing in water that vibrates the bearing. I suggested using a solvent tank rather than an ultrasonic tank because the average Joe doesn't know which cleaners are safe for their parts. I have used the ultrasonic at my work to clean cases a few times. We have aluminum specific powdered detergents and steel specific powdered detergents. The steel powder is a caustic and will destroy aluminum. Be very careful about which you use. Good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, absolutely it is, at BDT Motorsports we employ 3 Large & 3 Medium sized Ultrasonic Cleaners to clean all cases and internal components, again; the same process as is used in FAA certified Aviation repair centers.

The same precautions apply to Aluminum as to bearings; use dish soap, diluted with distilled water, preferred...(or tap). Clean all heavy dirt & oil first with solvent(s), immerse in Ultrasonic's for 10 minutes, Wipe Down, Blow Dry....if you have an Oven; put the cases in the Oven at 100F-125F for 1 hour to displace all water & Humidity.

Try it on a scrap piece of aluminum or cover first to assure yourself how well it works, once you follow the instructions I posted, you will be a 100% believer.

Carlos
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Most welcome....!

Try the Ultrasonic cleaning methods I detailed above. Then post the results and your impression of the process. Your input will help those not well informed.

Carlos

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ooops! I forgot to mention that my information comes directly from SKF and Timken. Two of the largest bearing manufacturers in the world. I guess they must be just as misinformed as me..... lmfao!

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Ooops! I forgot to mention that my information comes directly from SKF and Timken. Two of the largest bearing manufacturers in the world. I guess they must be just as misinformed as me..... lmfao!
To paraphrase your earlier post; WOW SKF and Timken...

The OP has all the information he needs, let him decide how to proceed and report back the results.

Carlos

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sure thing.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts